Sunday, February 16, 2014

Main Street small town USA...


I received an email from my friend June the other day at Laughing with Angels after she read my previous post  about our little country town and my country way of life...  June's town is alot smaller than mine, but we are still very rural... and very much country... I would love it if our town was still as small as hers...  she mentioned she had taken off the freeway to buy gas in Centerville when she traveled through Utah one time, but wondered about our "downtown" Centerville...  it made me giggle...  in a nice way, of course...  I adore June!...  we don't actually have a downtown...  as you take the Centerville exit off of the Interstate, there are a number of business there...  Target, a Joanne's Crafts, gas stations, a number of cafes, a Kohls... several other shops,  and that is pretty much our "business district"...   sooo...  instead of taking you on a Nature walk with me today, I thought we would walk  up to Main Street and you could see what my "Mayberry~like" Centerville heart of the town looks like...


Founders Park...


Centerville has grown some over the years, as has most everywhere...  but we are still small town USA and I love it...  residents here want to keep the hometown atmosphere and traditions... we still have our corny Fourth of July parade that I have posted about before... (which I love by the way!)... with sack races at Founders Park after, and  pie eating contests, quilt shows...  very old~fashioned to say the least... Centerville is just a narrow strip of land which lies between our beautiful mountains to the east and the Great Salt Lake to the west...  there are many new homes as well, but the old neighborhoods are preserved and loved...  even with the newer homes, all of Centerville carries that  home~town feeling... all of Centerville is zoned for chickens... which most people have... (Jack!...  I NEED some chickens!)...  and most of it zoned for all farm animals... small farms are everywhere... horses, cows, sheep, goats...  love them all!... it's not unusual to see a tractor driving down Main Street on any given day... the few businesses we have on Main Street are mixed in with stately old homes like this one...  you can see how close we are to our beautiful mountains that I love...


Okay then...  here is Main Street looking south...  that is Bountiful you can see in the distance (the little town I grew up in)...  Centerville is bordered by Bountiful to the south, and by Farmington (where my sister lives) to the north... . 


Jennie P. Stewart Elementary School...


My friend Karen's beauty salon, "Nu~Trends"...


Our post office...


Centerville City Hall... which includes our police department, court,  public works, planning and zoning, all City offices...


Our Fire Department...


Pizza place...


Don's Meats...  yes, a real butcher helps you...  and still cuts your meat for you that you pick out of the case...


Cutlers Cookies...  (my favorite!)...  sorry for the bad pic, it started raining on me...


Don Randall's Service Station...  he rides his horse to work...


Ornamental iron shop (at their home)...


Main Street Garage auto repair...  yes, there are American flags everywhere...  we are a very patriotic town!...


Centerville Junior High...  (we do not have a high school...  kids go to one in Bountiful)...


Here's looking north...  there is a Maverick convenience store and a Taco Time next to that...


Starting to thunder now as storm clouds are moving in...  at least most of our snow has melted this past week (yay!)...  time to head back home...  past the little garden center I always post about that I walk up to...  flowers and plants during the Spring and Summer... plus fresh fruits and veggies in the Summer...  pumpkins and squash, cornstalks and such in the Fall... and fresh~cut Christmas trees at Christmas time...  my home is just down the lane from Main Street  and around the bend...  so, that's pretty much Main Street in Centerville!...


Hope you enjoyed seeing more of my little countryside...  I am thankful for the beauty that surrounds me...  the friendly folks who live here...  with a common desire to keep our little town a "Mayberry~like" place for all...  I think Sheriff Taylor would be "right proud"!...  xoxo...  Julie Marie





11 comments:

Mary Palumbo Collings said...

Your little Mayberry-like town seems very charming and you obviously love it so much. How fun to have your own little Fourth of July parade. So different from where I live, sometimes I wish that I lived in a more rural area… I often joke that I need several homes because I love it all, city , country, beach , mountains… Oh well we can't have it all… Happy Sunday Julie Marie.
XOXO Maryt

Lisa Tucker said...

I love a small town. Ours is small also. How lucky you are to have such beautiful views of the mountains. Love your "Mayberry"! Thanks for sharing!

Country Gal said...

A lovely little town . You have more then we do here in our country valley village . We have a small restaurant a general store with a gas station a hardware store , a small auction house and that is about it , everything else is in the towns that are around us 20 min away and with in a 6 min drive is the marina town off of lake Erie . We have only 760 people in our spread out country village valley . I would love to visit your town . Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !

White Lace and Promises said...

You should see our little Mayberry. Love you place at the bottom of the mountains.

NanaDiana said...

Oh- What a fun tour, Julie Marie. I love little towns, too. Is it named Centerville because it is between Bountiful & Farmington? LOVE that it is zoned for chickens. You DEFINITELY need some chickens! lol

I love June, too. She is such a wonderful gal and has such a heart for gardening and taking care of her "angel". How funny that she was RIGHT there in your little town.

Have a great upcoming week! xo Diana

Andrea Ostapovitch said...

Loved the tour! Especially love that it is zoned for the chickens. Adorable!

Heaven's Walk said...

I love love love it, Julie!!! I just adore seeing pics of where you live and the breathtaking mountains that reach out to your back door. :) This was such a fun post! Now I can picture you driving into town to run errands. :) And...what?? Your snow has all melted??? LUCKY GIRL!!! We had 2 days of sunshine which was quite a blessing - and 40 degrees coming this week....before it dives back into the 20s again. Sigh.....! Spring is still sleeping.

xoox laurie

Blondie's Journal said...

I love this post! I think more people should show us a little of their town! I think Centerville is very quaint. And you have all the shops and stores you need close by! And the animals...chickens and riding a horse to work!! Love it.

XO,
Jane



Celestina Marie Design said...

Hi Julie, what a wonderful way to start my day with a tour of your darling town. I love small towns like this and all the country charm they have. Ours used to be like this when we moved here, but over the last 20 years grew to be more like a bigger city.
Love seeing the mountains in the background of Centerville and so enjoy seeing the places you have around you to visit and shop. Looks like your snow has melted but still looks cold.

Truly a "Mayberry of today" thank you for sharing.
Have a great week!!
XOXO

June said...

It is beautiful!!! I loved the main street tour. I LOVE how you skirt those beautiful mountains that are right at your back door Julie. Absolutely gorgeous. I love that your gas station owner rides his horse to work. If you are like me, you don't mind a bit when you have to drive behind the tractors as they go from farm to farm. I love that about small town living. I wish we had a charming main street off the beaten path like this but in Carey our main street is the major US HWY 93 and it splits our town. I don't think our town was meant to be a town in the beginning and no side streets were platted out. SO any new building had to be planned on the outskirts of town. It doesn't make for much charm at all.
Yes I do believe Sheriff Taylor would love Centerville :)))))))
much love...

Sheila Rumney said...

What a cute little town. Love the gas station and how close you are to the mountains. Thanks for the great idea about a bird journal. Thinking that will be my next project as it give me such peace to sit and watch the birds. Wishing you a wonderful day.