Tuesday, January 29, 2013

My little indoor "potting shed"...



In my last post, I showed you a number of my favorite gardening books I started sorting and organizing...  Spring will soon be here (YES, I CAN'T wait!)...  I would be MORE than happy to share some of our TONS of snow with you winter lovers out there...  me...  I prefer sunshine and warmth!...  not wishing the time away...  just wishing the snow and cold away...  sooo...  on a snowy day (again) like today...  I will be in my indoor "potting shed" as I call it... starting to plant little "seedlings" that will hopefully grow beautiful and get transplanted into my cottage garden...


I showed you this little book, one of my very favorites...  you don't need a big place for your own "potting shed"...  one day I hope to have a potting shed again like I had at our farm...  but for now, my "potting sheds" are one inside in my laundry room and one in our garage in a little corner of shelves just for me...  your own "potting shed" can be anywhere...


Just gather all your little necessities...  pots, saucers, potting soil, seeds, spray bottle to mist with... plant markers... what have you...


Our laundry room gets alot of light and the plants love it in there with the warmth from the washer and dryer as well...


Jack got me this cool cover for the tops of the washer and dryer...  it's the perfect place to fold laundry on, but also the perfect place for potting tender little seedlings...


Paper towels, a watering can... my handy garden tote filled with little trowels, claws, gloves, etc...


Pretty seed packets...


Small house plants and birdhouses and nests make it cute...


We also keep all of our birdseed in here for our precious little feathered friends...  the door out of my laundry room leads to our back deck and down to most of our feeders...  it's a full time job right now keeping these little birdies tummies full in this weather!... they too are looking forward to Spring!...


If you love to garden, like me, I hope I have inspired you to create your own little "indoor potting shed"...  it's warm and cosy and relaxing in here today...  perfect for little seedlings to begin their life!...  xoxo...  Julie Marie


20 comments:

  1. A lovely laundry room soo bright and cheery . I love your seed containers . Hope all your seedlings do well ! We have had lots of rain and even a thunderstorm most of our snow is gone now ! Wonderful photos ! Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your Spring decorating scheme! It really brings nature indoors. The tin pail is so cute, "Tweet, Tweet". Hope you are having a wonderful day. -Al

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi dear Cous,

    Isn't it FUNNY that we both have our posting in our laundry room??? Great minds?

    Love this so much and glad you like Hollyhock Days.

    Love,

    S

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Julie, I love that you can have an indoors potting shed! I love your bird seed containers, no doubt that you're a "nature girl"!!xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Cousin Sharon... I just LOVED it when I read your post today and you were in YOUR laundry room too!... much love to you!... xoxo Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect sunny spot to plant seedlings ♥ Love your Susan Branch calendar & adorable bird seed tins!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you have plants in your laundry room. That is a smashing idea. I have been outside getting my garden ready for spring. xo, olive

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh- Julie Marie- I am with you- I don't wish my lfe away but I wish that Spring would hurry up and get here. The first thing I noticed was the topper on your washer/dryer. Do you know where he found that? I have never seen anything like that and I would LOVE one for my laundry room.

    I have that same book-The Potting Shed...don't you love it...it is one of my old favorites. Blessings and have a great afternoon. We have a winter storm coming this afternoon, too, and we have a heavy, heavy fog cover- that is a deadly combination here-xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely potting shed right inside your home! This inspires me to find out where I can put one...

    Thanks for the sweet comment. I didn't make the heart, but I found it at an antique shop years ago and fell in love with it.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Diana... the topper is Whirlpool and he got it at the appliance store where we got our washer and dryer... probably all brands make them... it's such a help!...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Um, your laundry room is flippin' *awesome* I love the large window and the door leading to the outdoors. You have the perfect are in there for a little potting bench. It's perfect!

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  12. So very lovely, Julie Marie! I love your bird pails - they are extremely cute :)

    Hugs and blessings,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is the perfect place for a potting shed. I would love a laundry room so bright and cheery (mine is in the basement). Your pails for the bird seed are just precious! I wish I had luck starting plants from seed...they just get leggy and whither away. Any secrets?

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jane... once the little seedlings start to sprout, you need to thin them out... I just leave one of two in the pot... if you leave them all, none of them gets enough strength to survive... sowing them directly in the garden at the proper time of year is a great way to start from seed as well... I just get anxious to see little plants early!...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Julie Marie, this a wonderful idea. You'll be all ready when spring gets here! I always buy plants. It would be fun to start with seeds like this! Lucie would love it too.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Karen... I love when children are taught about gardening and Nature early on... yes, Lucie will love doing this!... xoxo Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Julie Marie,
    What a great idea to use that area of your laundry room for a potting bench. You have the perfect place too with plenty of sunlight and that is a neat counter top piece that goes on top of the washing machine. Can't wait until spring too. It's coming but there is beauty in every season.

    xo Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful, Julie Marie! I love that your laundry room is your "potting shed"! I'm touched that that's where you want to hang my dear, childhood poem--it will be the perfect place for it.

    I AM inspired to begin my working on my little seedlings now, thanks to you, dear friend--you always inspire me...

    Wishing you a day filled with everything you love--and stay inside and warm!!!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Birds, children, elderly and infirm FIRST!

    Love,

    S

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Sharon!... that's exactly how I feel too!... love you! and I loved your birdie post!!!

    ReplyDelete