Sunday, January 27, 2013

My Favorite Gardening Books...


Today, I brewed me a nice hot cup of tea in my favorite cup and went about sorting and organizing all of my garden books...  (I hope that Groundhog has some good news about Spring next Saturday!... we've got huge blizzards again today!)...


I never feel guilty buying a book...  I keep them forever and read them and refer to them over and over again... I always get more than my moneys worth out of them!...  this is one of my newest and most favorite ones... "English Cottage Gardening for American Gardeners" by Margaret Hensel...  it is absolutely beautiful!...  my gardens are all English cottage style...  they grow in wild abandon, little free spirits who sometimes pop up in the most unexpected places...  I love all gardens, but I don't want mine all to look extra tidy, neatly trimmed or edged in perfect little rows kinds...  I don't do alot of pruning, mostly just deadheading... and let my little "free spirits" wander where they may... roses clamboring up trellises and arbors... Clematis cascading around a birdhouse... wildflowers reseeding themselves...  my gardens are not really big, but I fill every inch of them with blooms... this is my favorite kind of garden of all...  like my mama's, my grandmother's and my great~grandmother's gardens all looked as well...


Today was so relaxing sorting and organizing my books by category...  most of my books have been with me for years...  some are newer... all are loved...  here are some more favorites...


Some of my reference books...  I never use chemicals or pesticides, so if some of my older ones talk about that, I skip those parts!...  my yard is free of toxic anything!...


 Another one of my favorites is by wonderful Sharon Lovejoy... "A Blessing of Toads...  A Gardener's Guide to Living With Nature"...


 And another of Sharon's books she just gifted me with, "Hollyhock Days...  Garden Adventures for the Young at Heart"... you can click here to visit Sharon at her blog and find out more about her fabulous books, and also learn more about her "Grimy Hands Girls Club" for gardeners...  her button is on my sidebar with a link as well...


I also collect vintage garden books...  here are two of those I use alot...I haven't finished sorting all of my vintage ones, so will show the rest in another post...


Summers are full of beautiful blooms in containers and hanging baskets on my front and back porches and steps...


My little "potting shed" is actually an area in our garage...  shelves filled with all of my gardening tools, pots, potting soil, etc... and a small one in our laundry room inside...  this is my favorite little book on potting sheds...  I hope to have a little shed like I had at our farm one day soon...


Wildflowers are also a big part of my gardens...  many reseed themselves for years and they are so carefree and beautiful...


My favorite wildflower book would have to be "Wildflowers Across America" by beautiful former First Lady Lady Bird Johnson...


I also grow herbs...  they are the easiest thing in the world to grow, and provide us with both fresh and dried herbs for seasonings... also, I use many of them in crafts...


And the fun thing about growing herbs... you don't need a big garden to do so...  "Little Herb Gardens" by Georgeanne Brennan and Mimi Luebbermann is my favorite book on growing herbs in small places...


 I grow many in containers, both indoors and out...  love picking  fresh chives in the middle of winter from a pot on my windowsill...  so...  there you have some of my favorite gardening books... and how this turned into a favorite day spent with "friends"... and there are more stacks waiting to be sorted... would love to know your favorite gardening books...   xoxo...  Julie Marie


8 comments:

Penny Phillips said...

I look thru all of my gardening books every year...thought I was the only one! I have found so many good ones at estate sales for pennies! I am getting sooooo ready for spring....hugs, Penny

Deb said...

Love your Robin tea cup!!
Fabulous gardening book collection Julie Marie ~ just like you, I love buying books & read them over and over ♥

Sheila R - Blessed and Distressed said...

What a great collection of beautiful books. I love how you use your gardening journal. I started one last year and have been planning for my garden this year in it. More veggies and cut flower beds planned. Hearing that you have some herbs indoors makes me want to do some too. I can't wait for spring!

NanaDiana said...

You and I have many of the same books, Julie Marie. That doesn't surprise me at all. I don't use pesticides either but will pour boiling water on invasive weeds-which kills the dead away.

Enjoy your "garden in a book" kind of day- xo Diana

Sandra said...

I also love your Robin mug. And what a wonderful collection of gardening books you have! I have some gardening books but also borrow many from the library. Books are always welcome in our house. :o)

A Vintage Chic said...

Good morning, Julie Marie! Would you be at all surprised, my friend, to know that we have just about the exact library of garden books? I confess to having many, many more than you showed here, but isn't that fun?

Wishing you the loveliest day, dear friend!

Julie

Julie Marie at Idyllhours said...

How fun Julie!... I must confess I have ALOT more too, but got tired of carrying them all over!... my older vintage ones might just be my favorite but they are very hard to photograph with their old tattered covers... thanks for your visit!... xoxo Julie Marie

Animal Print Gal said...

Boy, you have a great selection of Gardening books!