Thursday, December 6, 2012

Best~ever Brownies for Christmas...



Our home is all decorated...  our gifts are almost all bought... cards addressed and ready to mail...  time to put on some Christmas music and begin my baking... one of my most favorite parts of the holidays!...  I love to cook and bake and spend a good deal of time in our kitchen...  infact, it's my favorite room in our house... I start baking early and freeze most everything... I learned that when I was a little girl and my mama and her friends would do that... funny thing is though...  all the yummy cookies and brownies and such tasted just as good frozen in the middle of the night when we'd sneak out into the kitchen when no one was looking and we'd snatch some!... 


Brownies are one of my favorites of all...  one of our neighbors had the best brownie recipe ever...  it is the only one anyone in our family ever made and I still make it to this day...  it's so simple yet sooo delicious!...  I don't even frost them...  just a little sugar on the bottom of them when they have cooled and they are ready to freeze (or eat!)...  it's always so much fun swapping recipes...  I hope you all will share some too...  for now, here is the recipe for the best ever brownies!...

Darlene Wilson's Brownies

3/4 C flour
1 C sugar
5T cocoa (I always use Hersheys powdered cocoa)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C butter
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla (I always use real vanilla, not imitation)
1/2 C nuts (I use walnuts)

Grease and flour 10X10 pan.  Mix dry ingredients together, then add butter, eggs, vanilla and nuts.  Bake 350 degrees approx 30 minutes.  DON'T overbake!...  you know they are done when a toothpick comes out almost clean... don't let them dry out from baking too long!... makes about 1 dozen Brownies, so I usually double the recipe, then make even more!...  when cooled I cut them in squares and dip them in granulated sugar and some in powdered sugar...  they freeze great... and it's still fun to sneak into the kitchen in the middle of the night  and snatch one (or two!) right out of the freezer!... ( Tessy...don't tell on mama!)...  xoxo...  Julie Marie




7 comments:

  1. I LOVE brownies...they are one of my weaknesses. I will have to try these. :)
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie Marie, Brownies are a favorite here too and I have already baked mine for Thanksgiving and need to bake more. LOL I know how you love to be in the kitchen and prepare wonderful goodies. Your recipe sounds so good.
    I did a lot of baking today and got a lot done for gifts we give to friends and Lar's work.
    I just have a few more yummies to bake and then complete. My check list is about complete. It feels so good to relax and enjoy the season.

    Wishing you a wonderful weekend.
    Much love, Celestina Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julie Marie, Your brownies sound so yummy and the recipe looks really easy. I like your Hot Chocolate station post also. I am enjoying looking at other peoples pretty decorations. I think I will try your recipe, I can always take some to work. Have a wonderful weekend. Hugs and Prayers from Your Missouri Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, wonderful! These sound delicious, Julie Marie--and I love those memories, too, of sneaking in the kitchen & snitching them!

    Thanks for sharing your recipe--we'll be trying it very soon...

    Wishing you a beautiful winter weekend, dear friend!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also bake early and freeze I am almost done with all, I handed out six platter gifts already.
    I just have to finish chocolate covered things.
    Will add this brownie recipe to must try.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mama Tessy- You KNOW I won't tell on you. I am propped here in bed-can't sleep-mind going 199 miles per minute and now I am thinking about brownies in the freezer. This is NOT good! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great brownie recipe that I must try!

    ReplyDelete