Tuesday, November 20, 2012

If I gave it all away tomorrow... I would still be blessed with all that matters......



As I walked around my house this morning...  in the quiet of the early morning hours...  I thought to myself... as much as I love all of my things...  all of my collections...  my vintage Christmas decorations... everything...  if I gave it all away tomorrow...  I would still be happy... I was overcome with an abundance of emotions... I know what is really  important in my life...  and what is not... I pause to look at a little tree we have... Jack and I call this our "Charlie Brown" Christmas tree... it speaks to me...  of all those things that make my life a happy one... no glitter...  no sparkle...  no lights... just a couple of old ornaments from the past on it... it reminds me of much simpler times... when the true meaning of Christmas was really all that mattered as well...  peace and good will... family and friends... and I knew I wanted Christmas to be that way once more... " 'tis better to give than to receive"...

  
Yesterday, my sister and the girls and I met for a cookie and a coke at our favorite little cookie shop...  we laughed and giggled...  shared what we had been doing the past week... relaxed... talked... then, we all noticed two little "vintage" men (you know I will never, ever call anyone old)... getting out of a car in the parking lot...  one of the men was having a hard time...  he didn't look well... and kept sitting back down in his car, putting his head down...  the other man looked kind of perplexed as to what to do...  my sister, the girls and I immediately all ran out to see if we could help... no one else in the bakery even gave him a second thought... even though they were watching him... (so sad)...apparently the man was diabetic and his blood sugar had dropped drastically...  my sister ran back in and got him one of  her cookies and I hurried and got him a coke from the machine...  he sat back down in the car, ate his cookie and sipped on his coke...  we asked if they would like us to call for medical attention and he replied no... so we left him with his friend at his side and went back to our table...  a bit later, they both came inside and sat down...  he was looking much better... so we went about with our cookies and talking...


Filly and Ellie had gotten us our "Angels" the other day from the Salvation Army's Angel Tree...  I had asked Filly to get me a little boy and a little girl... our little adopted "Angel" boy is five years old and our little adopted "Angel" girl is two years old...  I am so excited to start looking for very special gifts for my two little "Angels"...  my sister and the girls and I have already planned a day to shop for our "Angels" together... as we left the bakery, the two sweet gentlemen stopped us at their table to say thanks and that he was feeling much better...  I think we all had tears in our eyes...  the man told us he had been a diabetic for over 50 years... yet had such a positive outlook on life and his eyes were so soft and gentle...  I have to say I love that sweet man I only met just then...  the man with him was a buddy of his, a friend for life...  another kind and gentle soul who looked out for his friend...  I knew then and there my sister, the girls and I had all received even more beautiful  blessings this week to write in our gratitude journals...  it really is the "not so small" things in life that really are the most precious... hold them close to your heart... and think of them often...   wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving...  and many blessings to all of you too...  xoxo  Julie Marie


14 comments:

Country Gal said...

I see a lot of this in our towns like what happened to the older gentleman in this post as it is an elder area here and thankfully there are folk who care and are there to help anyone in need I like that respect and caring is an easy thing to do whats hard is seeing others who don't . Lovely post and photos ! Have a good day !

vicki said...

Julie-- we should all step back and take a good look at what matters most in our lives-- it's not the "things and stuff"---it's those we love.

I am so humbled that you would want to make a pink scarf in honor of your sister. I know how difficult and gut wrenching it is to bring up the memory of her suffering and your loss. Someone will be touched by your gift and your generous heart. I love you for doing this---
Vicki

Charlene said...

What a sweet sweet story!!! I am so glad you went out to see about them. And what a great lesson to teach the girls. And everyone else in the bakery that was watching but, not doing anything. And the angel tree is such a good thing. Have a blessed Thanksgiving. Kindness Matters! Charlene

Kate said...

Dear Julie Marie
your story is beautiful and so heart warming. I am teary eyed typing back to you. I am in awe of how many people never give a second thought to helping someone in need. Bless your heart have a Thanksgiving filled with love and much joy while you shop for your angels
xoxo
Kate

Blondie's Journal said...

Your sweet post really lifted my heart today. The small acts of kindness are really the greatest ones.

Your little tree is darling and I agree with you, I can live without the material things, even ones that are very close to my heart, because if you have love, you have everything!

XO,
Jane

Olive said...

How kind you are but I knew that already.

NanaDiana said...

I'd say you were used as ANGELS right where you were when you went to help that sweet man. God puts us where we need to be,doesn't he?

I am so glad that you have sisters to share special times with. I was never blessed with blood sisters but I have some special "sisters-of-choice".

God bless you and have fun shopping. xo Diana

Vintage Gal said...

Julie ~ I just stumbled upon your blog and this post just touches my heart. My, you are a kindred spirit...This time of year is the time to make things happen that last all year long ~ blessings. I am your newest follower and from what I have seen, I am a proud follower ;-)

Sheila R - Blessed and Distressed said...

I believe that God sent you as angels to help these vintage men. What a heartwarming story of how small acts of kindness can change the world. Wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Sharon Lovejoy said...

Ah Cuz, this makes me feel so good. Of course I am NOT surprised that you all helped him, but many would've just ignored his problems.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving (and a peaceful one),

Sharon

Blessed Serendipity said...

Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it. Hebrews 13:2

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your sweetie Julie Marie.

Everyday Sparkles said...

The most beautiful post. You were angels for that man and his friend. And happy to hear that you are shopping for two more angels. Happy Thanksgiving dear friend. Love to you. Thankful for our friendship.

Ana said...

What a beautiful post Ms. Julie Marie...tugged at my heart strings. Thank you for sharing. Wishing you, Jack, Tessy and all your family a very blessed and happy Thanksgiving. Sending you a great big hug.

Much love,
♥Ana

Celestina Marie said...

Julie, beautiful. Wishing you a special Thanksgiving.
Love you, Celestina Marie