Saturday, September 8, 2012

Preserving Summer's Bounty...



You know it's Autumn at our house when the smell of homemade salsa fills our kitchen and entices us to grab some tortilla chips and dip into it...

Generous neighbors and friends are happy to share their abundant harvest with us... nothing, I mean nothing, is better than a ripe, juicy homegrown tomato!... unless it is my homemade salsa made out of these red jewels of Summer... I love to can, preserve, bottle, freeze and dry Summer's bounty... some things I grow myself, some I buy at local farmers markets... and some are given to me like these yummy tomatoes from our friends down the lane... so far, I have made salsa, peach jam, red raspberry jam, black raspberry jam, as well as freezing fresh corn from a local farm and frozen lots of tomatoes to use come winter in stews, soups, sauces and chili... I still want to make my bread~and~butter pickles, chutney, and dry apples for a special snack to pack away in pretty glass jars...

To some it seems like alot of work, but to me it is a labor of love... my family and friends love it when I surprise them with a jar of jam or salsa... and what a delight on a cold winters day to pull out a jar of salsa and savor it while daydreaming about the beautiful Autumn days when tomatoes were ripe and neighbors were generous... and the house smelled so good as the salsa simmered in my old vintage enamel pot on the stove... pure bliss... xoxo...



13 comments:

  1. That is work that is so worth it. No one shares with us in that amount. Your jars look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh they look wonderfully YUMMY ! Wonderful post and photos ! Have a good evening !

    ReplyDelete
  3. All those tomatoes and jars of goodness make me wish summer wouldn't end! I envy your patience in canning...I used to when I had a big garden. Ironically, my kids were small and I had less time!

    You have such generous neighbors! Enjoy!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh- It sounds marvelous, Julie Marie- Like something out of Women's Home Companion. I just love the smell of something simmering on the stove and the fresh bounty of nature- Blessings-xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh- It sounds marvelous, Julie Marie- Like something out of Women's Home Companion. I just love the smell of something simmering on the stove and the fresh bounty of nature- Blessings-xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are making me crave chips and salsa and it is nine pm : ) So I will try to resist and drool over your photos instead dear friend. I don't think you give a better gift than things from your kitchen!

    I had to go back and read awhile here and I miss not visiting as much lately. I loved the 'bling' post and the darling stone cottage that you and Jack get to see everyday. I have always dreamed of a little stone house. Maybe someday~~sigh~~
    I hope all is wonderful with you and yes, I hope we do have a beautiful Autumn!
    hugs from here...

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a busy bee you have been...YUM!!!

    m ^..^

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not even a salsa fan, but these look mighty good! Kit

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, a labor of love and a wonderful reminder of a summer past. Late summer tomatoes are the best.
    wishing you a happy week.
    Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  10. You will be enjoying those tomatoes all fall and winter long. What a delight!

    xo,
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely post! A lot of my friends have started canning, but I have yet to join in. I'll need to! Your salsa is making me hungry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Julie Marie, My gosh your salsa looks so yummy I am get hungry just looking at it. I love to can and freeze and put up goodies too. It is so nice to have the bounty through the winter months. Love seeing your beautiful pics. How nice your neighbors share their tomatoes. I just put up the last of our green peppers. They did well this year. I chop them up and place in freezer bags ready to pull out for cooking.

    Sending big hugs to you and Tessy.
    XO Celestina Marie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your salsa looks yummy! I love giving gifts from my garden.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete