Sunday, July 8, 2012

Old Friends...

Old books... old friends... so many stories to tell... not just the ones the author wrote... but the whispers you hear between the lines... stories from long, long ago... I listen closely to what these soft voices from the past have to say to me... here are just a few of my favorites... The Bobbsey Twins book was a gift to my mama for Christmas 1926... inscribed to her from her uncle... she would have been seven years old when she received it... a precious treasure of mine...

My mama's copy of Anne of Green Gables... I found the beautiful pressed flower she had carefully tucked within the pages so many years ago... everlasting... like my love for my mama...

1001 Gems...

Beautiful English poetry...

Equally beautiful drawings...

The Strollers...

A beloved gift to "Mary Coffey" for Christmas 1910... I purchased this at an estate sale ... I do not know who Mary Coffey was... but I have a picture in my mind of a lovely lady, lazing away a Summer's afternoon on a blanket in the shade of a tall tree... sipping lemonade and savoring her book... surely it must be she... I do hope she knows I will take care of her beautiful book always...

Some of my precious vintage and antique French books... placed alongside photos of my French ancestors... and my treasured French Bible now over 100 years old...

Beautiful books... beautiful memories... blissful enchantment with each turned page...

I display my vintage and antique books all over our home... but I have read them all as well... I know each story by heart... and the gentle whispers that come from the pages from the past really do speak to me... and I listen closely... xoxo...



14 comments:

Sunray Gardens said...

Impressive and what a joy it must be to have those for your very own now.

Cher Sunray Gardens

Lois Evensen said...

What wonderful old books! I have some similar ones of my mother's. I got a kick out of giving my mother's math book to my granddaughter. They both have she same name.

Country Gal said...

Oh what a beautiful collection of books . My mum had some of these books as well , when she passed they went to my older sister . Hope your feeling better now . Have a wonderful day !

Olive Cooper said...

Anne of Green Gables is a favorite of mine and I love all books old and new.

Jill said...

Your books are beautiful treasures! I adore the way you display them. I should think of doing something like that one day. Thank you for more inspiration.

Blessed Serendipity said...

Those are such lovely books. I love the pretty covers and they display very nicely. What a treasure to have some that belonged to your mother and even more special that the one contained a pressed flower in it. I know that must mean the world to you.

xo,
Danielle

Dawn's Craft Place said...

Priceless treasures for sure! I would so love these also

NanaDiana said...

Oh- I absolutely LOVE old books. I have several that were in my family for years. I have a couple of the old Chatterbox books which are just glorious in there tattered old state.

I loved The Bobbsey Twins when I was a child...and Five Little Peppers and How They Grew and The Boxcar Children. I was so blessed to have parents that both loved to read...unusual growing up on a hard working farm.

What wonderful memories you stirred up here today- xo Diana

Karen Mary Butterfly said...

Such a lovely post. It's wonderful that you have such a meaningful collection...including the pressed flower. So sweet.

Marie Antionette said...

Hello Sweet Julie Marie,
You are so lucky to own those precious books!!! Everyone a treasure.But the ones from your beloved Mother and Uncle are pricless for sure.
I still love to read alot, in between creating.Both keep my mind from going away...LOL.
I'm glad you liked the T-shirt.The shirt itself came from Wally world..I won the ad from Ebay.
I do thank Edie for writing my post.I still just can't.
Blessings Dear,
XXOO Marie Antionette

Ana said...

What a lovely post my sweet friend. In a world were technology is quickly takeing over and ebooks are quickly replacing actual books...Well needless to say it is a breathe of fresh air to know that someone treasures her books as much as you do. Wishing you a wonderful day.

Much love,
♥Ana

Vicki said...

Hi, Julie Marie,
Such beautiful vintage books you have shared with us! And the fact that you have read them all make them even more special. I know your sweet momma must have instilled this love for reading in your heart! I hope you have a perfect week ahead enjoying all the things you love. Sending love and hugs to you~ Vicki

Jonny J Petros said...

Hi Julie Marie, You have such a beautiful Romantic collection such a treasure to have! Thank you so much for stopping by to visit- Hope you have a beautiful week Sincerely,Jonny

Celestina Marie said...

Dear Julie Marie,
You have a special collection of old books and I love how you have displayed them. I cherish the old books I have too and love to use them around my home in decorative ways.
I just love how you treasure vintage finds. They could not be in a better or loving home.
Love and Blessings, Celestina Marie