Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Remember Summer?... It's Still Out There!...

Every time Jack and I walk past this wonderful old swing at a hundred year plus old house nearby, I am taken back to my childhood Summers... I spent countless hours in our swing... "push me higher daddy!... higher!"... I would call out as I giggled... and he always did... so high, I thought I could touch the clouds in the sky... sometimes I would just sit in our swing and slowly swing back and forth... contemplating what adventures awaited me on this fine Summers day...

There were bicycle rides to take and walks to downtown Bountiful... eager to get to the store that sold the penny candy as I had a quarter in my pocket I had saved up to spend... my best friend was always with me... my sister Jill... she is still my best friend and we still love Summer (and penny candy!)... we had Kool~aid stands and dreams of making beaucoup bucks... needless to say, we usually drank most of it ourselves when we got hot... and our dog Pepe always got a cup or two... we tried our hand at selling nightcrawlers, even though we lived on a quiet little street surrounded by orchards... nowhere near a stream or fishing hole... and sooner than I thought Jill questioned why SHE had to pull the worms instead of me... I told her as the older sister I had the right of first refusal... even at six years of age, she was one smart cookie and didn't buy that... I was ten... and I didn't want to pull the worms... so we turned our talents to other things... necklaces out of sweet clover blossoms and sachets out of mama's rose petals as they fell... making snowcones on Jill's little snowcone machine... playing hopscotch in our driveway as we drew it out in chalk... I still even have my hoppy taw!... (ten to one kids these days don't even know WHAT a hoppy taw is!)... times were so innocent back then... all of our games were made up... most times by me... besides playing baseball in the field across the street... or hide and seek... and red rover... coming inside only at suppertime then back out to savor the warm Summer evenings as we counted the fireflies... one by one, the kids would all get called home... until finally mama would call us in as well... "oh please, just FIVE more minutes" we would beg... there were no cell phones, no computers... no ipods... kids didn't sit in front of a tv all day... we were outside... breathing fresh air and enjoying the warmth of the sun... just plain and simple days... filled with the joys of doing whatever my vivid imagination could come up with... the pleasures of Summer... they are still out there... waiting for me... and for you... so go put your Keds on, mix up some Kool~aid... grab a quarter and seek out some penny candy...go take a bite out of Summer... it's still out there!... xoxo...


10 comments:

  1. AHAHA ! Those were the days ! I remember playing on the swings , hide and seek , base ball on the front yard . I was on a hobby farm back then playing with other farm kids , froliking in the fields with the horses and dogs spending time talking to the animals most of time or riding my pony, helping mum in the gardens and dad in the barns . As I got older I would sit for hours and scetch on the front porch or in the fields on a big old rock . Kids these days have no idea what it is to be at one with nature or to truely enjoy the outdoors ! Wonderful post and memories , thanks . Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful. Nostalgic. I have a hundred memories running through my mind now. We lived in the country and would walk about a mile to an old market for a Popsicle. Fire flies...I would have loved that...wait scratch that...I still would! I have only seen them once in my life. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such sweet summer memories from your childhood! It's great to have sisters to share those times with. We did many of the same things except I grew up in the prairies of the Midwest. Orchards would have been nice! You learn to be creative at an early age spending summers outdoors. I loved this walk down memory lane with you!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yes, I remember it all so well. You put it all so beautifully. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Jack should be pushing you on that swing!

    Lovely memories, as always. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, indeed. So many of my summertime memories are similar to yours. My favorite: NO SCHOOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Julie Marie for taking me back to better times. Those were the good old days. I wanted to thank you for stopping by and for your sweet comment, I miss our visit's as well. I just stay so busy all the time I haven't had much time to visit and don't even get to post much any more. Hoping to have more time soon.
    Hugs~~~ Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  8. What precious memories Julie Marie. I love that swing. My parents still have the swing set that I grew up on. :)
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  9. CC who is twenty loves to swing better than anything else. I can never see a swing and not think of my kiddo. She tears up swings all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, yes, Julie Marie, you and I share so many of the same memories from our "growing up days". I think you and I were so blessed to grow up in the 50's and 60's, don't you? Thank you for taking me back to those days with your beautiful post today! Love to you~ Vicki

    ReplyDelete