Saturday, June 30, 2012

Prairie Garden...

As the rhythm of the Seasons changes, so does my garden... my soft sweet Roses and delicate Dames Rocket, Delphiniums and Foxgloves of Spring and early Summer have given way to my heat and sun~loving Prairie Flowers... I absolutely love my Prairie garden... and so do my many visitors to it... like Madame Butterfly in my photo below... enjoying a sip from one of my Purple Coneflowers... (Echinacea)...

My Prairie garden is a buzz, literally, every morning with the soft humming of the bees visiting... a welcoming stopping place for Hummingbirds, butterflies, bees and my precious Hummingbird moths... the rhythm of the changing of the Seasons from early Summer to what I have always known as the "dog days of Summer"... here in Utah now, our temps climb almost daily to the 100 degree plus mark or close to it...

Bee~balm and Purple Coneflowers make a pretty sight...

They make me smile...


Black~eyed Susans (Rudbeckia "Goldilocks") are one of my very favorites...

Bee~balm spreads rapidly, which I love... but you do need to plant it where it has plenty of room to grow...

My Yarrow (Achillea millefolium) loves these hot Summer days... I dry bunches of it, tying it in bunches with twine, then hanging it upside down in our garage to dry... they make beautiful dried flower arrangements and wreaths and hold their color well...

Jack's favorites are the Blanket Flowers...

Cosmos just now starting to take off as well...

Soon these beauties will fill an entire portion of my Prairie garden... they re~seed easily and come back year after year...

I hope you enjoyed a little peek at my Prairie garden... these lovelies will bloom from now till frost... which I don't even want to think about that!... wishing you a glorious Summers day, xoxo...



14 comments:

  1. They are all lovely and hold up well through this nasty weather this year.

    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie- Your prairie flowers are beautiful. I didn't realize that you got so hot in that area. We are traveling this week and it is in the high 80's here. The area we left a couple of days ago is now in the 100's. I don't like this heat but the humidity is what really does me in.

    How large of an area does your prairie garden encompass on your property? It looks like your flowers grow quite close together. Here when you see a prairie garden it is spread over a huge area and the flowers are not very close together. It is not as pretty up close as it is viewed from quite a distance. Yours looks much more pleasing to the eye. Blessings to you- we are off for a very late breakfast and an art show. Leaving here in the morning and headed home. I am more than ready to go home- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diana... my gardens are not huge like the Prairie is... and yes, mine are quite close together when they fill in, but that's how I love it!... xoxo Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful! I love purple flowers and don't have many in my garden.
    I feel bad that my garden will not get worked on anymore because of my cast.
    This is my 4th summer wearing a boot
    At least I got weeding and clean up and and new mulch down before this happened...would have loved to planted more.
    Hope you have a great weekend
    Happy 4th

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful flowers, Julie Marie! I love coneflowers and for some unknown reason, find myself without any. My cosmos are blooming too but of course, they are an annual here. I am going out to cut some yarrow and dry it. I've never thought of doing that before! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Julie Marie, Your prairie flowers are so pretty and the color is so amazing. I am catching up with my friends this afternoon after being at the hospital with hubby. I wish I had a green thumb like a lot of you do. I will continue to admire yours . Have a great weekend. Your Missouri Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just planted some blanket flower. Good to know it is Jack's fave. I love purple cone flower but kill them all. xoxo, olive

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your flowers, just lovely! el

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!! I was a little concerned that my wildflowers wouldn't come up but they have been popping up here and there bringing gorgeous color to our office front. The storm from Friday flattened them for a while but we are hoping they will come back again. Don't you just love this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sure hop you don't mind me stopping by and checking out your beautiful garden. I got your blog address from Mari/A Pocketful of Roses. I have actually been blogging for years but haven't been to loyal lately.
    You have such a lovely blog.
    Take care,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Julie Marie!

    Oh how I miss my little garden when I see your picks, especially the purple cone flowers! Your pics make me feel like I'm back in that little slice of heaven.

    Yes you have the right date for Marie's birthday, tomorrow, but I've had trouble with the auto post not doing it's job so I posted today to make sure it got posted. We've had major power outages in Ohio after a horrid storm came through and we lost power for a day & a half. Some won't have power for 5-7 days here. so I thought better be safe than sorry!!

    blessings & hugs, "Edie"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you sooo much my gorgeous friend for the birthday wishes!!!
    You are always such a sweetie.And I will keep my eyes on the mail for sure.I'm so excited...LOL not the age part so much.

    Your flowers are just to beautiful for words.I bet I can sit among them for hours.You have a green thumb Dearest.
    May God bless Try and stay cool,
    XXOO Marie Antionette

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Julie,
    All your blooms are lovely. What a dream garden you have and so inspiring. Our heat keeps us fighting for the life of our blooms.
    I just love your prairie garden in all it's splendor. The colors are so vibrant.
    Wishing you a wonderful week.
    Love to you, CMD

    ReplyDelete