Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A Kewpie Doll for Mattie... .

Today I was feeling sorry for myself... something I rarely do as I have been blessed with so many good things in my life... however, the past month or so, I have been in alot of pain with some problems in my feet from all of the walking I do every day, which I love by the way... (the walking, not the pain!)... anyhow... today I found out I have a stress fracture in one of my toes and a pinched nerve and can't take my two mile Nature walk Jack and I take every morning for several weeks until this hopefully heals... if you follow my blog at all, you know what a Nature lover I am and how I love our walks, along with walking my sweet Tessy another mile and a half or so every day as well... so... I drove to my little "secret spot" I post about often... the little old store my daddy used to take us to when I was a child... the store is abandoned now... where Roses and Lilacs bloom in wild profusion, despite the fact that no one is around to tend to them... or are they?...


This little place comforts me... I come here often to think... sometimes to reminisce... as the Heavenly scent of the Lilacs embraced me, my thoughts turned to my little neighbor lady named Mattie... and I quickly forgot about feeling sorry for myself... and thought only of her...


I remembered my chat several days ago with our sweet little neighbor ... Mattie is a widow who lives alone... she will be 85 years young on Saturday, and we were talking about childhood memories and suddenly she got all teary eyed... she told me how as a child she had grown up in a small rural town and like most folks back then, money was tight for her family and times were often quite tough... she was only about seven or eight when a carnival came to town... she had saved her dimes that she had worked hard doing odd jobs to earn so she could go to the carnival... Mattie had wanted so badly to win a Kewpie doll at the carnival... I don't recall what she had to do to win the Kewpie doll, but the carnival employees were con artists, and had it rigged so no one would win... she lost all her dimes and the scammer kept telling her he just knew she would win if she kept paying more and trying again... she lost all her money and never won a Kewpie doll... my heart ached for her... knowing how much this must have hurt her to remember each and every detail all these years later... I was telling Jack what Mattie had told me that brought her to tears, and an idea popped into my mind... wouldn't it be wonderful if we could find a Kewpie doll and give it to her for her birthday!... I immediately got on Ebay and brought up "Kewpie Dolls"... many were reproductions, many were fakes, some were brand new... and the old carnival original ones were going for a mint... I simply could not afford to pay the exorbitant prices they were commanding and my hopes dwindled... then, Jack said he did not remember exactly what a Kewpie doll looked like... so, I googled "Kewpie Doll" on Google Images and up came a beautiful one that said it was on Ebay buy it now for about twenty dollars... I thought it was probably an old listing, but clicked anyway... as if by pure magic... or my wishing soo hard... it was JUST then listed... with free shipping even... I bought it right away and was sooo excited!... Jack and I could not believe what had just happened... almost too good to be true... the seller sent my treasure right out... and she is in near perfect condition.... stamped "Made in Japan" on her back, which puts her between 1920~1941... just the right time frame for when Mattie was a child... on Sunday, Mattie's grown son came over to introduce himself to us... he lives out of state and had come to visit her a few days before her birthday... I was telling him about the Kewpie doll we were going to give his mother, and he said she had just told him the story again... he had heard it often throughout his life and he knew it had pained her as a child... he was so excited about what we were planning to do...

I drove right home from my secret place, and told Jack I wanted to give Mattie her present today... all of the sudden my sore foot didn't matter as much... we took a little piece of cake and Mattie's present all wrapped up and went over to her house.... dear Mattie finally getting the little Kewpie doll she so wanted as a child... so many years ago... to say she was overwhelmed would be an understatement...


Yes, we took Mattie a present... but Jack and I received the gift... just look at the smile on her face... oh and my foot?... gee... I guess I forgot all about that for now ... xoxo... Linking this post to Vintage Inspiration Fridays with Debra at Common Ground!...


19 comments:

Celestina Marie said...

Oh Julie Marie,
This just brings tears to my eyes. What a wonderful story and what a beautiful thing you and Jack did to bring some childhood joy to this dear lady. She looks so happy to finally have her Kewpie Doll.
You gave Mattie a special gift while receiving one too.
There is a special place in heaven already prepared for you my friend.

I so hope your fracture heals quickly. Please take it easy even though I know it is hard to stay off of it, but it will help in the end. I have had these breaks in my foot and they take time. Prayers for you.

Lovely post and Happy Birthday to Mattie on Saturday.

Love to you, Celestina Marie

Rebecca said...

Ok...I'm bawling my head off here. I just took a hot bath, washed my hair, creamed my face and now I need to go do it all over again....

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Want to know what I'm reminded of here?

When we do something loving or special unto the LEAST of these we do it unto Him.

You put jewels in your heavenly crown today sweet friend. You did. I just love your big heart.

Prayers are going up especially for YOU and your PF feet and fracture. He heals, you know?

xoRebecca

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

"Oh Julie",
You made me CRY TWICE today!!! Tears of SO MUCH JOY!!! My HANKY is SOAKED and my face aches from "SMILING"!!! I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE this story!
You are SUCH a Special Special Lady!
Love you to pieces!!!
Big Squishy Hugs,
Donna

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

"PLEASE be careful with your foot"...You are FOREVER in my prayers!!!
Oh Yes and HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO Mattie!!!
Hugs again,
Donna

Terra said...

The joy on your friend's face is a gift back to you two. I hope your foot heals quickly so you can get back to walking.
The Kewpie doll gift idea was so GOOD.

Blessed Serendipity said...

Hi Julie Marie. I am so sorry that you have pain in your feet. It must be painful to walk. I hope that you will be feeling better soon. Your story of giving the kewpie doll to your friend sure did make me smile and I know that you made her day. How very sweet and kind of you.

blessings,
Danielle

Jill said...

The tears are running down my face. You, dear lady, did such a beautiful thing for your dear friend. You are such a good example to all of us. Your heart is so full of love.

I'm very sorry about your foot. I will pray for healing.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Dear Julie Marie,

You are such a DARLING!!
Hope that a lot of good things will come back to you.

Love,

XOXO

Sanne From the Netherlands.

Sunray Gardens said...

That is so sweet and made her day and the doll is too cute also.

Cher Sunray Gardens

It's me said...

What a wonderful story...so special...love from me...xxx....i hope you feets will better soon darling....xxx..

Linda said...

What a lovely touching story. Her smile is priceless.

Zuzu said...

Oh, this is so sweet Julie Marie!!!
I love seeing the smile on Mattie's face. :)
My mama had a china kewpie doll from her childhood, which she would carefully pull out and show to my sister and I when we were small.
Take good care, and I hope your feet get better soon.
Hugs,
Zuzu

NanaDiana said...

Oh-Julie Marie- You have me in tears here this morning! What a wonderful, heart warming story. God bless you for not only listening to someone's story but for taking that next step to make an old wish come true. God has certainly given you a caretaker's heart.

I am having the same problems with my feet/ankle that you are experiencing...it just drives me nuts! xo Diana

Amy Arnaz said...

Love this story, Julie Marie!
Funny how your sore foot took a back seat. You really are an Angel to do this for your little friend. Love the photos and LOVE the new photo on your blog header too. Sending love to you, Jack & Tessy. Hope your foot heals quickly.
xoxo Amy

Anonymous said...

Simply wonderful!!! Need I say more. el

Red Rose Alley said...

Julie,
I was noticing your comment on Bunny Cottage about going back to the way the old blogger used to be? I liked the dashboard before. Is there a way to change it back to the old way? If so, please let me know. These changes are hard to keep up with, aren't they? Thank you for your help, and I think your blog is very lovely.
~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

Blondie's Journal said...

What a sweet, sweet story, Julie Marie! I have the biggest lump in my throat, not just over Mattie's heartbreaking story, but because of your generosity and thoughtfulness. I know the pleasure was all yours and Jacks, brought you really brought some happiness into this wonderful lady's life! You are precious.

I hope your foot heals fast, I know how you love your walking trips. Feel better soon.

XO,
Janie

Kelly said...

Oh Julie, that is the most touching story I think I've heard in a really long time~ The whole thing just seems so surreal, from your secret place all abloom to finding the doll and the surprise present~ How touching. Very touching. Thank you for sharing. I've been really needing to hear inspiring moments here lately. Life can be overwhelming at times~
I wish you a speedy recovery!!!!
((HUGS))

Dianna said...

I am crying after reading this story. What a wonderful, wonderful heartfelt thing you did for your sweet little neighbor. Obviously this was a memory that has pained her for years. (She's probably sleeping with that Kewpie doll now!)
What a blessing you are to her!