Saturday, March 24, 2012

My Favorite Place to Be...

This time of year, if you are looking for me, most likely I am...

Last year, I asked my friend Rebecca of A Gathering Place if she would create a beautiful sign for me with that saying on it... she came up with exactly what I had in mind and I loved it!... I hang it out on my little potting bench when I am "in the garden"... I'm sure friends and family already know that is where I will be... but the sign is just so pretty!... while at the garden center today, I bought a beautiful new wildflower... it is a Geum, which I have grown before, but not this particular one... it's called "Prairie Smoke"...

I came right home and planted it... here's how it looks in the garden... the foliage on it is just so delicate and kind of fern like... I can hardly wait for the blooms which are "bell to cup shaped mauve flowers followed by showy feathery pink seedheads throughout summer".... sounds so beautiful!...

Has anyone grown this before?... or is it a native wildflower to your area?... I would love to know!... xoxo...




9 comments:

June said...

Hi Julie Marie!
I'm of to one of my favorite garden centers in Boise on Monday. I'm going to be visiting my mom in Oregon for a few days and it's on my way to her place. I'm planning two new beds this year and hope to find some great new roses to try : )
I hope you have a great time in your garden this week too.
hugs...

Blessed Serendipity said...

I have never heard of that flower before but I am sure it will be gorgeous in your garden. I love to mix pink with purple flowering plants. Have fun readying your flower beds for the new spring season.

xo,
Danielle

Sunray Gardens said...

I love them they are such pretty flowers. I don't have it but really like them.
Cher Sunray Gardens

Olive Cooper said...

I have never grown it. I love your sign and that is also where I may be found. It rained all afternoon yesterday and I am so glad.

Jill said...

Your sign is beautiful! So prefect for you!

I have Prairie Smoke in my garden. I just adore it!

Zuzu said...

Hi Julie Marie!
I haven't grown it myself, but I've seen it in bloom and it's lovely.
I cannot even think gardening until May here - it's so hard to wait. But the hummingbirds and deer are back after being away for months, so I can enjoy seeing them once again! :)
Hope you have a wonderful weekend, my friend!
Hugs,
Zuzu

Rebecca said...

Good morning sweet friend! I love how you LOVE to garden and so hope to be able to really pay some attention to my suffering beds this spring. The heat from summer of '11 killed everything.

I love how your sign looks, too. You always bless me in the most wonderful ways.

Love to you beautiful friend. Wish you were here yesterday, too!

xoRebecca

Carolyn said...

It is so exciting to be able to work in the garden again!
I love your little sign too.

Thank you for you visit and lovely comment today.

Enjoy your garden.

Carolyn

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Julie, Yes, the garden is the best place to be and your sign from Rebecca is so pretty.
I am not familiar with the flower you show. Anxious to see how it does. Hope you have a great garden week. We are to be in the mid 80's all week and everything has come back gorgeous from last year. It was a very hot summer for 2011, but with the mild winter, all is growing well. So happy to be working in the dirt once again. I know you are too.

Love to you,
Celestina Marie