Thursday, March 29, 2012

Great~grandmother's Wedding Ring...

Today I needed to go renew my drivers license as it expires this year on my birthday in May... they have made it so hard to renew since the last time I did... nowadays, you must bring a copy of your social security card and your birth certificate to renew... I was born and raised here... been driving since I was 16... no speeding tickets (at least not since I was 16)... but each year seems like there are more and more changes to everything... you know me... I don't like change... maybe that's why my thoughts drift away so often... back to simpler, gentler times... anyway... I had to open our safe to get my birth certificate out... there, on a soft piece of velvet was my great~grandmothers wedding ring... that is my great~grandmother and great~grandfather Souders in the photo below... the gold pocket watch belonged to my great~grandfather and I inherited it... at some time long ago, my grandmother had it put on the little gold stand... my great~grandparents lived to be almost 100 years old each and I knew them well when I was a little girl... spending Summers with them in Santa Fe at my grandmother's home...

I gingerly took my great~grandmothers ring out of the safe and slipped it on my finger... pictures of this sweet little lady filled my mind... carefree Summer's days in New Mexico... sitting at her side as she rocked in her favorite chair in the living room... chatting with her... savoring her homemade cookies that always filled the cookie jar... I caressed the ring on my finger and wished that just once more I was sitting there beside her... great~grandmother had the softest snow~white hair... it cascaded all the way down her back... sometimes she wore it down long, but most often it was piled high upon her head... and she always smelled so sweet... that's what little great~grandmothers do, you know... because they ARE so sweet...

After my great~grandmother passed away, my grandmother Delphine (her daughter, my daddy's mama) inherited the ring... she wore it every day...

When my grandmother Delphine passed away, my mama inherited great~grandmother's ring... then, when my mama passed away... thirty years ago this May... much too young... I inherited great~grandmother's ring... I wore it every day too for many years... the band had worn so thin from all of those years... I took it to a jeweler to check the band and the prongs on the diamond... the first thing he told me was to take it out of that old setting and put it in something new and modern... sorry... no way... just like I would not want to change a thing about my great~grandmother... I would never change a thing about her wedding ring... he told me it was an old mine cut that they don't do anymore... I didn't like the other things he told me about changing it... but that delighted me that it was an old, old mine cut diamond... great~grandmother's ring is well over 100 years old... and has four generations of stories to tell...

I don't wear it anymore as fragile as it is... so soon it will go back into our safe... but for now... I shall wear it just a bit longer... as the smell of great~grandmother's cookies and her soft gentle voice fill my thoughts... unlike so many things in today's modern world that change or go away... precious memories never fade... xoxo...



14 comments:

  1. I could not change the ring either Julie. I have a ring of my Aunt's that is broken in the middle and I am not changing it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful treasured heirloom that you have the honor of now owning. I wouldn't change it either. Hopefully they can reinforce the band where it is weak? I think you should be able to enjoy it often instead of it being put away.

    xo,
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post!

    And amazing timing, as just this afternoon I received my notice to renew my DL as well. (B-day is in May, too). Also, Mom and I were talking about my grandma earlier today. About how sweet she was. She was the one that taught me to read, from those Little Golden Books. Sadly, my evil cousins stole 90% of them. If there's a Heaven, one day Grandma and my Little Golden Books collection will be there to greet me. :p

    I loved the timing of your post, so thanks for sharing. And what a beautiful ring that is!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful ring......great memmorie !!...love from me....xxx..

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a beautiful ring that carries so many wonderful memories. I really can't believe a jeweler suggested you modernize it. Seems insane to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Julie Marie, what a nicel post!! The ring is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Danielle... I would rather just display it than chance it being lost or stolen at a jewelers... my jeweler I loved retired and I don't know anyone I totally trust with it right now... it is much too precious to me... thanks for your sweet comment!... xoxo Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Julie Marie,
    This post is just beautiful and I love the gorgeous ring of your great grandmother. I would not change it either. You know, I also have my grandmothers ring and I used to wear it on occasion, but now I keep it in a special keepsake box in her honor. I don't want to take a chance of losing it or something worse.
    What precious memories you have and own. Special blessings truly.
    I so loved this post.

    XO Celestina Marie

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet and wonderful reminder of your great grand.
    I'm so pleased that you have such a tangible reminder. It is stunning my friend!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet and wonderful reminder of your great grand.
    I'm so pleased that you have such a tangible reminder. It is stunning my friend!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi sweet Julie Marie!

    What a wonderful picture into your past. I love hearing old stories like that. Your great grandmas ring is so gorgeous and so precious. I love treasures like that not because of their monetary value but because of their sentimental value. My mother had gold jewelry belonging to my darling Grandma Meme but she had a break-in and it was all stolen. How sad. but they couldn't steal my memories of Meme - what a treasure they are!! I loved her so dearly.

    Love to you! Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  12. Julie- this is the most precious story I've ever read- and the photos are stunning. What a legacy this ring has brought to your life. If only this ring could tell you the lives it has touched. I feel really blessed to be able to read your beautiful blog--
    Love
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  13. Miss Julie Marie...Did some backtracking on your posts to catch up while I was gone. I love the story of your GGMama's wedding ring. I wouldn't have change a thing about it either. My sister took my mother's vintage pearls in to have restrung and they stole them and replaced them with copies. They wouldn't fess up and my sis was too young (in HS) to know better. We were heartbroken.

    I pray your Easter was lovely. Your TessyBaby looks so sweet.

    xoRebecca

    ReplyDelete