Saturday, February 4, 2012

Planting a Flower~Fairy Garden...

Wherever I have lived, I have always had a fairy garden... even as a little girl, my sister and I knew without a doubt that the flower~fairies dwelt amidst mama's gardens, frolicking beneath the roses and snapdragons... and dancing amongst the larkspurs and delphiniums... mama believed they did too... and planted special flowers just for them... I always love planning what I want to add to my own fairy garden each Spring...

"A dream is a wish your heart makes"... I shall dream of the flower~fairies as I post in my garden journal my wish~list of flowers I will plant this Spring... especially for them... I post often about the flower~fairies... if you wish to be spirited away to those posts, just enter "flower fairies" in the search box on the top of my blog... and they will take you there...

The word fairy is derived from the old French word "faie" which described the folklore and romance of these wee folk... it is also spelled "faerie" or "feerie", but I have always spelled it "fairy" as Cicely Mary Barker did, who I have found to be the ultimate authority on flower~fairies... The flower~fairies are elusive little creatures... and they love to tease!... oft times, you will find a special little treasure they have left for you... a token of their affection... today, I received just such a treasure... a beautiful flower~fairy, made especially for me by my dear friend Dawn... and surely spirited here to me by the flower~fairies themselves... Merci Dawn!... and you too precious little flower~fairies!...

My home is filled with the enchantment as well... I collect books about these adorable little sprites... many of which were written by Cicely Mary Barker, my favorite...

How fun to read the beautiful stories and poems she wrote so very long ago... to know what flowers are their favorites, and the meanings behind them...
Planting a fairy garden is really quite simple... there is just one thing you simply must do...

Remember, you do not need to see them to believe in them... you need to BELIEVE in them to see them... I believe... do you?... xoxo...

"Where are the fairies?
Where can we find them?
We've seen the fairy~rings
They leave behind them!

When they have danced all night,
Where do they go?
Lark, in the sky above,
Say, do you know?

Is it a secret
No one is telling?
Why, in your garden
Surely they're dwelling!

No need for journeying,
Seeking afar,
Where there are flowers,
There fairies are!" ~Cicely Mary Barker



15 comments:

Jill said...

This just made me warm all over! So beautiful. Thank you. *HUGS*

Country Gal said...

What a wonderful post and photos. I felt like I was in a Disney movie all about fairy's . Tinkerbell is my favorite ! Have an enchanting day !

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Julie Marie, You can delete the last comment, I saw just as I clicked to publish that I hit wrong keys to my name. LOL Whoops.
Anyway, I love your post about fairy gardens and I have wanted to plan one this year too.
Gorgeous treasure from your friend Dawn. Just delightful and your book collection looks precious.

Lots of Love, Celestina Marie

Shirley said...

Hi Julie Marie, With the weather we had been having it made you think Spring was just around the corner and you could think of the fairy garden. It made you want to go and pick out your flowers.
Then the rain came and now it has turned to snow. It will make us take more time to plan our flower garden. Thank you for the wonderful post. Your Missouri Friend

Kit said...

Oh what fun! I love fairies. Especially Tinker Bell! Kit

Sandi said...

LOVE anything to do with fairies! I purchased a fairy party book to have a party for my little granddaughters this summer...in my white tent. Can't wait!!
xoxo

Dawn's Craft Place said...

Oh you know I believe! I love to have fairy dreams and always enjoy your sharing of your special thoughts.
Can you imagine a life without a fairy dream?
So glad my fairy card made the trip and is now sharing a spot with all your special pieces.
Hugs my friend

It's me said...

Beautiful post ....i enjoy ...thank you darling....love ....xxx...

Rebecca said...

What a beautiful Post sweet friend. Full of sweet photos and gentle simplicity. I love it. Made me feel safe, calm and snuggly all over.

Love you~

Rebecca

Deb said...

Fabulous post Julie Marie. And you know I believe ♥

millefeuilles said...

Dear Julie Marie,

This is my first visit to your blog and I have found so much delight here. Dreamers unite and gardens are always my inspiration so this post, therefore, has filled me with joy; thank you.

I was brought up on the Flower Faries and used to receive each separate volume for my birthdays and Christmas. I adore them and spent much of my childhood trying to turn the delicate fairies into dolls. I haven't changed really since then.

I'm off to follow you if I may.

I wish you a beautiful, inspiring week full of peace and contentment.

Stephanie

A Vintage Chic said...

Beautiful post, Julie Marie...absolutely beautiful!

I have a lovely little fairy garden, too...always! Thanks for the inspiration to add to it this year...think I'll do a little garden planning in my notebook, as well...

I love Cicely Mary Barker, too...her illustrations just warm my heart.

Wishing you a beautiful, garden-dreaming day, dear friend...I believe, too...

Julie

Ana said...

I wonder if I plant a fairy garden if they will come visit me too? I always believed they lived in beautiful green forests...away from humans, but if you say all it takes is to believe...Then that I shall...Hee, hee, hee. You are just the sweetest Ms. Julie Marie. Love your fairy posts. Sending you a great big hug.

Much love,
Ana

Ellen said...

Great post. I love flowers, but I really don't know much about them, in fact, I don't know the names of most flowers. I only know what I think is pretty. Sometimes I think I have a "weed" fairy that comes and sprouts up the weeds all night because no matter what I do, I keep finding more. When we lived in Missouri, we had beautiful flowers all over, courtesy of the previous owners. I never knew what flowers would come up next, but they kept coming up, all over and different colors. It was amazing. I totally agree with you about "believing is seeing!"

Everyday Sparkles said...

I love your notes and your sweet collection of fairies. You gave me the prettiest little fairy for my garden a few years back. Merci!