Wednesday, February 8, 2012

"Nothin' Says Lovin"...

"Like somethin' from the oven"... I love to bake from scratch... that way, I know that what we eat is healthy and good for us... no yucky preservatives or chemicals... no icky additives or artificial anything that you can't even pronounce the names of... plus, homebaked just tastes sooo much better too!...

I always grab my favorite apron... a vintage Layton Sugar Company sugar sack turned into a beautiful apron by my friend Kelly at Farmstead Lifestyle I ordered last year... Kelly bought the old, old sacks at a flea market back east some years ago where she lives and decided they would make cute aprons... when I saw it on her blog, I had to have one, as the old Layton Sugar Company was just a mere ten minutes drive to the north of me... I did some research for Kelly about the company and it turns out the sugar beet seeds and heavy equipment arrived by riverboat in Leavenworth, Kansas... the same little town she had a cafe in at the time, then carried by 52 ox teams across the plains to Utah... I love what Kelly had to say about this, that my little sugar sack, now a beautiful apron, had come full circle!... below is a photo of the old sugar company circa 1936... so sad, no longer standing... (photo graciously sent to me by the Utah State Historical Society)...


Just like most everything else I love, I cherish my old family cookbooks...

The one I reach for most often is the very same one my mama did her entire life, the old blue "Joy of Cooking"... I have the newer versions as well... but my heart always leads me to the old tattered one... the one with little notes handwritten in it here and there... and pages stained with perchance a drop of vanilla or a bit of butter many many years ago... making it all the more priceless to me...

Today, I am baking my favorite muffins, plain and simple but oh!... so delicious!... especially with some Prairie honey on them, or my homemade black raspberry jam from last Summer... there are many variations you can make from the basic recipe, but today the rich goodness of a plain muffin sounds delightful... my favorite vintage muffin tin and I am ready to go!...

Here's the recipe exactly as it was written so many years ago:

Sift before measuring:
2 cups cake flour or 1 3/4 cups bread flour
Resift with:
3/4 teaspoon tartrate or phosphate baking powder
Beat in a separate bowl:
2 eggs
Combine and add:
2 tablespoons melted butter
3/4 cup milk
Stir the liquid quickly into the dry ingredients, taking only 15 to 20 seconds in which to do it. Make no attempt to stir or beat out the lumps. Ignore them. Unnecessary handling of the batter results in tough muffins. Pour the batter at once into greased tins or paper baking cups. Fill them to about 1/3 full. Bake the muffins from 15 to 20 minutes in a hot oven 425 degrees. Remove them at once from the tins. Makes about 24 two inch muffins.

Now, go bake some lovin' from the oven and have a most beautiful day!... xoxo...



22 comments:

  1. Love your apron and your kitchen vingnette. The muffins sound wonderful! I also love my Mom's old cookbooks. They are the best.

    Beautiful flowers on your table too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can almost smell those muffins baking now. I'll have to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing. Have a great day. -Al

    ReplyDelete
  3. The muffins sound YUMMY ! I can almost smell them in the oven ! Love the apron what a great idea ! Have a wonderful day !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, the apron is awesome and the story attached it is so filled with history and the joy you attach to it. I love old cookbooks and love to sit and read them cover to cover. Yours is so precious. I know those muffins are divine and you know I bake from scratch also. xoxo, olive

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yammie.....nice pictures !!...xxx..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story about your cute apron.
    My go-to recipe book is the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book (new in the 1960s I think.) I've used it so much, the binding fell apart and now, it's held together with rubber bands!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there, I loved seeing your apron as well as your cookbooks. Funny thing-your photo of the sugar beet factory looks like it could be our town because back in the 20's & 30's, that was the main industry here. Our factory though sustained damage in the 2008 tornado that ripped through here. Your muffins sound good; I'd have to make them gluten free though.
    Hugs, Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely post! I'm crazy about your vintage sack turned apron! Thanks for the history, so interesting. There is nothing like old family cookbooks, is there? The more used the more loved! Thank you for that wonderful muffin recipe~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Julie Marie, this sounds so yummy! I love looking through my mom's old recipe book. So many memories there... in each smudged page.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how healthy you are and I LOVE your new photo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too go for my old recipe books... My favorite one doesn't even have the cover on it any more it has been used so much... very well loved.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yum!
    I love my tin ware as much as you do-mine is all red and white.
    I also collect recipe books and always choose my older ones that are tried and true...I can't tell you how many I have gotten from estate sales or friends cleaning out relatives homes.I love that you share with all of us.
    Hugs sweetie

    ReplyDelete
  13. The muffins sound Yummy Ju!!! The apron you use is cute... I like when I can bake from scratch it doesn't happen often but I do enjoy it. I hope your muffins were delicious which I am sure they were. Love the New Header perfect for Valentine's approaching... Eat an extra muffin for us.
    Love Filly

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you have the best time baking today my friend. I love to bake almost as much as I love to sew. I can almost smell your muffins up here.
    I love that you found that Layton Sugar sack, that is amazing that you even saw it. What were the chances?
    I think I will join you in the kitchen today my friend. Sugar cookies are on the menu today : )
    hugs from me...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really have to start baking from scratch again. Your muffins sound wonderful! Kit

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Julie,
    Wish I could sit down with you and share a muffin and some tea, it would be heaven! But I sent you big hugs and happy wishes. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love muffins! I love your kitchen! Just this very morning I came across a link from the BBC looking to find new and exciting recipes, with suggestions of Coffee and Lime (not sure about that one) or Pumpkin and Rosemary (yes please) and even Lemon Drizzle, presumably based on the cake of the same name. I never met a muffin that I didn't like!

    Your photos are so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So simple and DOABLE. Yeah!! I'll bake them for sure.

    Love the old cookbooks and your apron.

    All joys,

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Julie Marie, yummy home made muffins, I'll be right over...lol
    Everything looks so pretty, but I love your apron my friend....
    Wishing you a very happy Valentines day ;)

    Hugs~
    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Julie, I just love this post and your apron hanging from the bakers rack. I too love my old cookbooks handed down from my mother with her own recipes and those from long ago kitchens.
    Your muffins sound so yummy good.
    Thank you for sharing.
    XO Celestina Marie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Everyone loves muffins. I love baking too. I found your blog to be really sweet and specially the way you treat your visitors. Lots of love and let the posts coming on. We love them.

    ReplyDelete