Saturday, February 25, 2012

"Georgia Cooking in an Oklahoma Kitchen" in Centerville, Utah...

How's that for a title?... I have posted before about some of my very favorite vintage cookbooks, and some of my favorite recipes from them... I also have a number of favorite newer cookbooks... One of those is "Georgia Cooking in an Oklahoma Kitchen" by country music star Trisha Yearwood... (Mrs. Garth Brooks)... I have always liked her... she is so pretty, down to earth and such a talented singer... she is also a fabulous cook... so when her cookbook came out in 2008, I knew I would love it...

Her book is chock full of down~home recipes from her roots in Georgia... she lives in Oklahoma now with Garth... this delightful cookbook is full of oh~so yummy family favorite dishes!... so, c'mon inside my own kitchen and I'll show you what I am making today...

I love to cook and bake from scratch, and I love really easy recipes that are no~fail... I also love "comfort food" and what is more comforting than homemade macaroni and cheese?... when I make things from scratch, I know there are no yucky ingredients in them... you know, those nasty preservatives and such that you can't even say, let alone spell... and homemade just tastes the best!... plus, cooking from scratch is fun!... I fix a homecooked meal every night of the week for Jack and I... once in a blue moon we go out to eat, but rarely... it is so nice and peaceful eating at home... Jack and I both crave peace and quiet... and the pleasure of enjoying a tasty meal together at our own kitchen table... (with a cute little doggie sitting close by of course!)... Jack constantly raves about my home~cooking, which of course makes me so happy, and want to cook for him even more... I think the word "comfort food" came from just that... the comfort you enjoy while sharing it with those you love...

There is just a certain satisfaction from getting all of your own ingredients ready and starting from scratch...

So, here's the recipe... first off, start your macaroni noodles boiling... use a one pound bag of elbow macaroni and boil until tender approx 12 minutes...

Drain well...

Make the sauce while the macaroni is cooking... Melt 4T butter in a 1 qt saucepan. Using a wire whisk, stir in 4T all~purpose flour and 1 tsp salt, stirring and cooking over medium heat until the roux bubbles and the flour turns pale brown, about 3 minutes... remove the pan from the heat and slowly whisk in 1 cup of milk. Return the pan to the heat and whisk in 1 more cup of milk. Continue to cook stirring constantly until the sauce thickens... Add 2 cups grated cheese (I use medium cheddar) and stir until it melts...

Add the drained macaroni to the cheese sauce and mix thoroughly...

In a small bowl, stir 1/2 cup bread crumbs together with 1/4 cup melted butter until the crumbs are moistened... I use organic croutons that I have crushed with a rolling pin to make the crumbs...


Transfer the macaroni and cheese to a buttered 2 qt casserole dish, top with the buttered breadcrumbs and bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees or until the dish bubbles around the edges...

Just plain good old home~cookin'... our favorite... yum!... xoxo...

11 comments:

Dawn's Craft Place said...

This is really starting to scare me! We have so many similar things.
I have the same red appliances the same strainer, casserole dishes and you know I love to cook by scratch
Thanks for sharing sister

NanaNor's said...

Hi Julie Marie, Thank you for sharing this recipe-it looks so good, I will have to adjust it for gluten free though. I can't wait. You have a beautiful kitchen, I'd love to come visit and see you whole nest.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Hugs, Noreen

Country Gal said...

Awesome photos and post of your cooking as you go along ! Looks YUMMY ! Thanks for sharing. Have a great day !

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

Just one more thing that we agree on....cooking from scratch is the absolute best! I cook every night too, but we did go and eat Mexican tonight, which is something that we seldom do because we choose to eat at home. So glad you took us into your kitchen, love those countertops. Give sweet Tessy a kiss from us.

Jill said...

Sounds very good. I've recently started making my own homemade mac and cheese and adding broccoli to it. It's a fun thing to make. Love the red pops in your kitchen!

Olive Cooper said...

Yay from a S.C./Ga. girl who also cooks from scratch.

P and E's Journey said...

Hi Ju

It looks so good. I love her music and didn't know she had a cook book. It looks like her recipes are comfort food and sometimes you just crave that. I would love to have a bite of this dish you made or the whole thing lol. I liked seeing your kitchen too. I hope you guys enjoyed your meal.
Love
Filly xoxo

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Julie Marie,
Thank you for sharing this great recipe and I too have wanted to get Trisia's cookbook. I know I will love it along side the great vintage cookbooks I already love and use all the time. Yes, I too love to cook from scratch and we prefer to eat at home. My mother always did make everything from the measuring cup up and I feel I learned from the best!!

Your dish turned out so wonderful and I know it tastes yummy too.
Love your kitchen with the splash of red and the gorgeous cabinets. We are very similar in the kitchen, only I have a splash of the blue cobalt. Oh and, Larry found me the blue willow, made in England, butter dish yesterday on our hunt. He said a little early birthday gift. I love it.

Have a blessed Sunday.
Love to you, Celestina Marie

Rebecca said...

Oh girl...this sounds delish. I love TY so much. She makes beautiful music and she's a lovely soul.

I also loved seeing your kitchen. More than love your counter tops! YUM!

xoRebecca

Anonymous said...

That sounds delicious! Thanks for the share. el

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Julie Marie!

There's nothing like a great casserole of mac & cheese!!I could eat the whole pan. I love it with creamy coleslaw. Now we're talkin' winter delight.

Hugs, sherry