Monday, December 26, 2011

Daydreaming of Spring...

It happens every year like this... Christmas comes and goes so quickly... I love Christmas... but I am not a winter person, and I don't like the cold... perhaps it is because I am a gardener... and I am missing my roses and violets... my bleeding hearts and columbine... thus my thoughts turn to Spring... it is in my heart... and on my mind... the days are already getting longer... oh, maybe it is just a few minutes a day... but never you mind... they are getting longer... I wait in giddy anticipation for my yearly seed catalogs to begin arriving in the mail... it is still December... yes... I know... but now it is my quiet time... time to plan and dream... plot and scheme... my gardens are deep in their winter slumber... but they too are already dreaming of Spring... I wistfully picture my beautiful climbing red roses that I planted from cuttings taken from my very special little secret place to my own gardens several years ago to bloom their first blooms... they took root and last year began growing so much... but no blooms yet... I daydream about my sweet wild violets... fast asleep in the icy~covered garden...yet I swear I can smell their heavenly parfum drifting through the chilly early morning air...


I head down my frost~covered little stone paths in my winter boots... bare feet with the warmth of the Springtime sun on the stones is so much nicer ... nevertheless... I check my gardens often... there is still so much more of winter to come... and I do not want to wish the time away... but the promise of Spring calls out to me... perhaps the flower~fairies have left the sweetest little surprise of some kind for me there... they love to tease you know... gifting me with subtle little hints of the Spring to come... I gaze at my Fairy Rose... the flower~fairies favorite place to frolic and dance... through a hazy mist, it appears to be blooming... I blink my eyes... I was certain I saw their oh~so~soft palest~of~pink petals... but no, she is still fast asleep... and the fairies have left no little gift for me... I could have sworn I saw the slightest movement out of the corner of my eye... a tiny little sprite, I just know I did... but there are no little footprints in the garden... and no fairy dust to be seen... but then I already told you, the flower~fairies love to tease... then ever~so~softly I hear the lilting sound of sweet laughter... yes... they ARE here... but where... the winds are stirring now and the air is bitter cold... yet, my heart is warm and my soul content as I head back inside... a nice warm cup of herb tea and my garden journal await... there are dreams to dream... and plans to be made... as the flower~fairies laughter lingers in my mind... xoxo...

"O, wind, if winter comes
can spring be far behind?" ~Percy Bysshe Shelley


13 comments:

Jill said...

Alas, my fairies are hiding so well too this time of year.

I did receive my first seed catalog around Dec. 1. Keep dreaming, Julie Marie. It will be worth the wait. :)

Rusty Hinge said...

Good morning, Julie Marie! I just stumbled upon your blog and I am so glad I did!! You love to garden and are dreaming of spring, me too!!! :) In fact, I was just looking through my fall seed catalogs, wishing for spring! I look forward to coming back and sharing garden tips with you. I am your newest follower! Come over and take a peek at some of my garden posts.
Maria
www.rustyhinge.blogspot.com

NanaNor's said...

Dear Julie Marie, Such a thoughtful post; I can hear the quietness in your thoughts and your planning. I love spring too, but I try to appreciate today and the beauty of fresh snow. You've inspired me to dream about the spring though.
Have a great day!
Noreen

Blessed Serendipity said...

Winter has it's beauty but I am with you. I love spring and summer and to be able to plant flowers and enjoy picnics and outdoor activities. It will be here before we know it and the sleeping roses and blooms will once again come out of hiding.

xo,
Danielle

Amy Arnaz said...

Good Morning Julie Marie~
Happy day-after-Christmas! I won't tell you about the buds on my rose bush because you would be envious! It feels like Spring here during the day but is COLD at night. We have cuddly beds with heating pads outside for our feral colony. Fingers crossed that your rose bush from the "secret" place blooms this year. This is a quiet time of year and like your garden, it's time to go inward and prepare for Spring. Enjoy your day! xoxo Amy

Bobbi said...

I love the way you think, Julie Marie. Winter, for me, is something I have to make the best of. But come springtime... I come alive! Beautiful post!

GardenGirl said...

Beautiful. Happy dreaming!
Deb :)

Blondie's Journal said...

You are such a sweet dreamer, Julie Marie! We haven't even had snow yet and I am dreaming of that, believe it or not. Making angels in it, wearing my new snow boots, catching a flake on my tongue! I love it when it first snows. When it gets old and slushy, I can live without it! I do look forward to getting my seed catalogs in the cold months. Then I dream, like you!

Hope your Christmas was wonderful!

XO,
Jane

Sheila R - Blessed and Distressed said...

I too start dreamin' about my garden after Christmas, but I too have many more months under cold and snow. Wishing you beautiful dreams of spring.

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Julie,
Hope your Christmas was special. We enjoyed a wonderful time and now looking forward to the new year and also dreaming of spring time and flowers. My roses are still blooming, not as much, but they are sharing a bit of color now and again. Pansies are gorgeous right now as they so love the cold.
I have dedcided to enjoy the winter after our very long and very hot summer. With mild winter temps, it helps right now. Not sure how the rest of our winter will go this year. Lastyear was pretty cold and unusual for us.
Taking some time off to regroup and rest up for lots to come in the new year.

Wishing you and yours a beautiful new year and blessings for soon to be blooms in your garden. Lovely post dear friend as only you can share.
XOXO Celestina Marie

✿ⒹⒺⒺ✿@ A Lapin Life said...

I'm going to dream too! I love to garden and it's way to cold for that now.

Dee

Ana said...

Oh Julie Marie,
As I read your sweet post you had me daydreaming of Sring and fairies too. Can you believe how fast Christmas came and went? Here's to a brand new year filled with hope, love, happy times, health and many more wonderful daydreams...

Love you tons,
♥Ana

Everyday Sparkles said...

I'm not much of a winter girl either. Today's weather must be just for you. I can't believe how warm it feels for winter. Soak it in.