Friday, December 9, 2011

"And With a Broken Wing"...


...she still sings...
She keeps an eye on the sky
With a broken wing
She carries her dreams
Man you ought to see her fly" ~Martina McBride

That precious angel is so very close to my heart... it was mine as a little girl... I have had my ups and downs in life... like my little angel... and like most of you... and seeing my little angel and listening to that beautiful song by Martina McBride makes me realize even more so the many blessings I have received throughout my life... my sweetheart Jack and the rest of my family being my most precious... I still sing... and "you ought to see me fly"...

My gorgeous mercury glass peacock from the 30's... don't you just love her spun glass tail and her beautiful crown of gold...

My pride and joy... our vintage decorated tree... not for materialistic reasons... but for the many precious memories it holds, both mine and those who have passed on and whose Christmas tresors found at estate sales now live with me... there are literally hundreds of ornaments on and under our tree... nothing is newer than the very early 60's... most are from the 30's, 40's and 50's...

A beautiful bisque angel from the 40's watches over from above...

Sweet little Santa marked "Made in Japan " (1941~prior)...

Gorgeous indents from Poland...



A favorite mercury glass bell...

Darling little ornaments from Czechoslovakia...






A mica covered "Silent Night"...

One of my many treasured birdies with spun glass tails from Western Germany...

A "tweet" little pair from Czechoslovakia...




Santa and Mrs. Claus... "Made in Japan"...

A favorite old mercury glass elephant...

Mica frosted pinecones from "Occupied Japan"... (1945~1952) when Allied Forces still occupied Japan after the War...

Gorgeous swirls from Poland...

Sweet flocked reindeer... "Made in Japan"... 10 cents each some years ago at a local thrift shop... one is missing an ear, but like any other of God's precious little creatures that needs extra care that I love, I save them and love them even more...

Cardboard reflectors from WWII times...

During the War, the Office of Civilian Defense issued orders that Christmas lights were to be kept to a minimum and only on when families were home... this was in compliance with saving energy during the War... they were to be quickly extinguished in the event of an air raid... many homes placed these old reflectors behind their sparse set of lights, giving the appearance of many more on the tree as they reflected the beauty...

My old reflectors are retired now... and sit happily beneath our vintage tree... along with so many other wonderful tresors...

The spirit of Christmas is everywhere in our home... but nowhere do I feel it more than sitting in our den and gazing at this tree... I am flooded with memories of Christmases past... and hopes and dreams of Christmases to come...each and every vintage ornament speaks softly to me... I say it every year and will say it once more... I always picture in my mind beautiful images of long ago... and the wonderful families whose homes these heirlooms once adorned... they are now a part of my family... as are the precious memories of those looking down from above... I am hoping they enjoy seeing their Christmases come to life once more... thank you Jack... for carrying all of these precious ornaments up the stairs for me... year after year... never once complaining... for understanding how emotional I get over them... and for taking a "sentimental journey" with me each Christmas... xoxo... Linking this post this week to "What's It Wednesdays" at Ivy and Elephants and Vintage Inspiration Friday, Vintage Christmas at Common Ground...
"He who has not Christmas in his heart
will never find it under a tree" ~Roy L. Smith



21 comments:

  1. Julie Marie your tree and all your vintage ornaments are gorgeous! I love everything you showed but my favorite is that tree top angel. She is a cutie. It is nice to hear that many of your ornaments have such special meaning to you and they bring you cherished happy memories.

    xo,
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such a wonderful, beautiful tour of all of your Christmas tresures and memories. I recongnize many of those ornaments from trees in our family long ago. So sad I did not appreciate them then as I do now. I don't own any of them. Perhaps some found their way onto your tree. :) *HGUS*

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such a marvelous collection of precious antique ornaments! Love the sweet little angel, broken wing and all. Memories of past Christmas' abound on your beautiful tree. May you enjoy the holiday magic all year. -Al

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dear Julie Marie~That is one magnificent and special tree :) I love each and every precious ornies you have on her!!!
    I just could sit there all day looking and listening to all her sweet memories :)
    I am a big fan of Martina just got her new cd loveeeee her songs they are always filled with beauty :)

    Thanks for another great post, you rock my friend.....lol

    xoxox~Mari

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tree and vintage ornaments are beautiful ! A wonderful thing to know that all this holds lots of wonderful memories for you ! Have a great day !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I love all your gorgeous ornaments! And for some reason, the purple saxophone!Enjoy gazing at your tree and relive all those lovely memories. Hugs, Kit

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful tree! I love your treasures. I can see how incredibly special they are to you. I have a few treasure, but only a very few. I think the first one with the broken wing is so symbolic of most all our lives. I would definitely treasure that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greetings Julie Marie, I love your ornaments; many looked like ones my mom had while I was growing up.
    I can't wait to visit more, I'm going to follow you and look forward to getting to know you. Also love your Tess-wonder what type she is-lab, greyhound, mix?
    Have a blessed day.
    Hugs, Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your sweet comments Noreen... Tessy is an English Pointer... xoxo Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh your tree is so pretty. Love that you have ornaments from when you were a child, how fortunate! And so glad you and Tessy have an angel to watch over you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great wonderful christmas tree!!!...love it....enjoy a happy weekend....xxx...

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous collection of ornaments you have! Your tree is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm going to be singing that song all night now! But that is alright because I love Martina!

    Ciao Bella la la la.....with a broken wing....la..la!

    Creative Carmelina

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for stopping by my blog. What a cuties your dog is. I'm happy to have found your blog, I'm your newest follower.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Julie Marie, Nothing brings me more joy then viewing your gorgeous vintage ornaments on your beautiful Christmas tree. I love them all and have a few similar from WWII handed down from my mother and daddy.
    Love how you place more treasures under the tree. Really this should be in a magazine. What a lovely spot to seat back and enjoy the beauty and dream. You are very blessed my dear friend.

    Thank you for stopping by today and your kind words. You always bless me when you visit more then you know. Your kind words encourage me always.

    XOXO Celestina Marie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Julie Marie, your tree is full of special treasures. Your angel from your childhood is amazing. I adore all of your vintage ornaments, I've been looking everywhere for them.. hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your tree and ornaments are bautiful. What beautiful memories you have. CHRISTmas is such a specal time. With each Christmas more precious memories are made.
    Have a blessed weekend.
    Hugs, Sue

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aww! You have a fabulous ornaments on your tree! I bet they have such precious memories!

    This is my first with our very own tree. I don't mind having few ornaments for now. I can't wait to fill it with ornaments that carry with such great memories :)

    xoxo
    Myric

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just love to hear your stories. Reflecting on each precious ornament and special memories.

    I never knew why they made Christmas light reflectors. Amazing.

    Wishing you a wonderful Christmas season, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Julie Marie,
    You have an adorable collection of your favorite ornatments! I love your broken winged angel ornament. You know, that song, Broken Wings, is one of my favorite songs by Martina McBride. I can play that song over and over on my ipad and ipod. TFS
    A very Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your ornaments are exquisite. That lamp. That umbrella. Oh my.

    ReplyDelete