Thursday, October 27, 2011

Hello Dearies... It's Time for Vintage Inspiration Friday at Debra's "Haunt"......Hee hee hee...

Do come in and set a spell... I'm just finishing up a little "something special" for all the little darlings for All Hallows Eve... let's see... was that eye of newt or eye of potato it called for???... Rats!... I am getting so forgetful... and you caught me without my makeup on or my hair fixed... but nevertheless... do come in... I am joining Debra at Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday, and Vintage Halloween today... so, let's see what's vintage, (besides me)...

I have sooo much vintage Halloween, I could do a post a day for days and never run out... it's not so much because I have bought and collected alot, but rather I kept everything from when I was just a little witch... I want to show you some of my vintage Halloween cut~outs... up until about 13 years ago when we sold our little farmhouse and moved to another home, I hung all of these and more in my little paned windows... they have seen many a full moon and tons of trick~or~treaters... most all of these darling cut~outs are from the 1950's through early 1960's... some a little later...

This year, I am putting them all in a cute basket to display rather than hang them in my windows... sort of like how I display Christmas cards when there are too many to set about...

These old images are just too cute!...

Love the bottom of this one... "money or eats"!...


These poor old skeletons are from when I was just a little girl... they have been scotch taped together so many times... I think I can hear their poor old bones creak... (or maybe that was mine???)...

These were called "Scratch Cats"... looks like there must have been a cat fight since last year... one is missing part of his tail!...

Most of these treasures were made by the Beistle Company... right here in the good old USA...

The Beistle Company was founded in 1900 and continues to make Holiday and party favors to this day...

These are my two favorite ones from my childhood... some of my old ones are more faded than others, depending on how much sun came in the windows they were hung in...

Here's a little tip for anyone who wants to collect vintage Halloween... I have learned much through my own experiences over the past many years and also through friends who are reputable dealers... plus, I research everything I collect and own many reference books... the Beistle Company still makes the cute little cut~outs today, however, they are reproductions as you can see in my photo below... the one on the left is a new one, while the one on the right is my treasure from my childhood... sadly, unscrupulous dealers try (and succeed) in selling the reproductions on Ebay as "vintage" and commanding exorbitant prices...

Here they are on the backs... the new one on the left is two~sided, as all the reproduction ones are now, while my original one only has the design on the front, and years worth of tape on the back side from hanging them in my windows...

My old owl on the left and my newer one on the right...

The backs...

There is still some vintage Halloween out there, just waiting to be rescued, but it is becoming harder and harder to come by, and prices have skyrocketed... I buy it when I find it and can afford it... here's a couple more little secrets... if the guy tells you the cute little kids witches costume you're admiring is from the 50's, and the box has a UPC barcode or zipcode on, tell him "hasta la vista, baby" and shop elsewhere!... UPC codes didn't begin until 1974 and zipcodes began in 1963 non~mandatory and became mandatory in 1967... impossible the little witches costume was from the 50's!... this applies to ALL vintage collectibles... don't be fooled...

So for now, here is one of my vintages images I scanned in for YOU to click on and save... my gift just for you... to use as you please... Thanks Debra for hosting another fun party... and Happy Halloween everyone!... xoxo...


12 comments:

Country Gal said...

Great post. I havent seen the old style of Halloween decore for years I guess we could get it from thift shops ! Great photos. Have a wonderful evening.

Jill said...

What a wonderful collection you have! I am surprised that the originals have so much more color to them. I suppose they are trying to make the new ones look old. Thanks for sharing your treasures!

Blondie's Journal said...

You have a LOT of cool vintage stuff here, Julie Marie!! I just love the retro look and the fact that the colors are a little muted and not so garish as the decorations we see today! Love the pink pumpkin and thanks for the skeleton to save...he has such a cute grin on his face!! Wonderful collection!!

XO,
Jane

PS...I am officially off the creamer!!

Dawnll - Dawn's Craft Place said...

Just love these vintage graphics-I recognize so many of them from my childhood. I wish I would have saved them.
So glad you always share these treasures with us,I so enjoy.
Thank you for my Halloween card sweetie, I just didn't get the time to get as many as I wanted out this year.
Hugs sweetie

Bobbi said...

Hi Julie Marie! I can't begin to tell you how much I love seeing your vintage collectible's from when you were a little girl. It never ceases to amaze me - how many vintage pieces you still have from your past. And each one comes with so many memories!!
I love how you showed the difference between the true vintage and the remakes. The real ones have so much more character. I can't believe people actually try to pass the reproductions off for real vintage!

My Blessed Serendipity Life said...

What a great collection of halloween cut outs. Vintage halloween stuff is so hard to find and when you do it's usually unaffordable. I laughed at the kitty who lost his tail in the cat fight.

Danielle

It's me said...

So nice ......have a great weekend darling....love from me...xxx...

Mari said...

Hello Julie Marie~Ohhh wow my friend did you take me on a nice trip down memory lane :) I remember so many of those Halloween decor! thanks so much for sharing your wonderful collection with us :) It was fun...lol

xo~Mari

My Grama's Soul said...

Oh sweet friend....I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it that you have kept all your halloween goodies all these years. I can remember those from my childhood also.....ah what memories.

xo

Jo

Cheryl~ZanyMayd said...

Cute old Die cuts, brings back childhood memories.... Happy weekend

Geneva said...

Thank you for sharing all your vintage Halloween decor. I especially like the black cats and owls, but it's all cute!
Some of them actually brought back a few memories for me. ":o) Great Post!

Amber Lyon Ferguson said...

Lucky Lady! I am always on the lookout for those decorations!