Sunday, September 4, 2011

Autumn Story...


It is Autumn in Centerville...my favorite time of year... it is also the woodland critters favorite time of year as well... you will find them scurrying about our home... gathering acorns and nuts, seeds and berries... making their little secret stashes for the winter that is inevitable... but for now, we are all delighting in the brilliant Autumn sunshine, the cooler days and pleasant nights... the smell of woodsmoke in the air and the aroma of fresh baked pumpkin nut bread coming from the kitchen... Autumn is a most busy, enchanted time at Brambly Hedge as well... "Brambly Hedge is on the other side of the stream... across the field. If you can find it, and if you look very hard amongst the tangled roots and stems, you may even see a wisp of smoke from a small chimney, or through an open door, a steep flight of stairs deep within the trunk of a tree. For this is the home of the mice of Brambly Hedge" (quote from Brambly Hedge by Jill Barklem)...

If you are not familiar with the Brambly Hedge stories, you simply must find yourself some... I have the books for each Season, and also the beautiful teacups that match each Season as well... the stories are so enchanting... and the pictures just adorable...
Many of the woodland critters have chosen our living room to gather in and chatter amongst themselves about how to pick the proper acorn, which tree branch is best for Owl to perch on... where to find the most luscious berries down the lane...

Squirrels have already gathered sooo many acorns... but then, we have sooo many squirrels to feed... and they are most happy to share...

Mama Hedgehog keeps a watchful eye on her two little ones... they get into sooo much mischief!... sometimes they snatch acorns from Squirrel... and sometimes they meander down the lane and around the bend to the thicket... the thicket is dark and a little eerie at night... one night, baby girl Hedgehog could not find her way out of the thicket and was sooo scared!... just like when Primrose got lost in the Brambly Hedge story...

Owls have picked out a wonderful old branch to perch on and watch over the comings and goings of all the critters... they eat sooo many berries... I hope they don't get sick tummies...

Pinecones are carefully gathered as well...


I love Squirrels so very much... (Jack says they think I am "nuts", tee hee hee!)...

Preparing for the long winter ahead... which we shall not even think about today!... but rather bask in the glorious fall weather...

Vintage Steiff Squirrels are cozy and comfy...

Pumpkin pie sounds soo good to these two... they tell me they shall bake some soon!...

Nature has such a way of bringing me peace and serenity... the woodland critters instincts tell them just when it is time for the Seasons to change... slowly and carefully they gather their treasures and prepare...


"Nature does not hurry,
yet everything is accomplished" ~Lao Tzu

Wishing you all the beauty Autumn has to offer... do you have your own Autumn Story to tell?... xoxo...



10 comments:

  1. Such cute little squirrels Julie Marie! I just saw the cutest squirrel scurrying up the big pine in my yard. Such a bushy tale and fast too. Looking forward to fall and cooler temperatures.
    xo,
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had an Autumn story for you, Julie Marie, but it's still so darn hot here in the desert that we have to run our sprinklers on the long cycle twice a day. I went to the market today came home an collapsed! As for your sweet story of squirrels, acorns, pumpkin pie and Autumn... I'm jealous! Enjoy you enchanted garden and the sweet offerings of Autumn. xoxo Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful post and photos ! I remember stories like these when I was a child. I still love them today ! Fall or Autumn is one of my favorite seasons as well, the fresh cool air, the colors and yes the smell of our woodstove and others and bondfires one of my favorite smells. The yummy scent of pies fill the air ! How wonderful ! Have a lovely Sunday eve !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julie Marie,
    Oh your story gives way to encouragment that Autumn will surely arrive and hopefully soon.
    I just love this post and your sweet little critters are adorable. Love your pretty tea cup too.
    We have many squirrels here and they and Miss B have fun running back and forth in the yard.

    We are about to have cooler temps soon as tomorrow is predicted to be in the 80's. Wow, it will be a cold front for sure. LOL
    We are so ready to be done with the triple digit temps.
    I am inspired to decorate and paint some Autumn cottages.

    As always your post is full of fun, nature and the best pics.
    I love your new header for Fall too.
    Have a wonderful Labor Day with Jack and Tessy.
    XOXO Celestina Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. That book looks adorable and the way your critters live seems like a great story. They are all so unique and quaint and each looks like it has a personality of it's very own. The leaf dish I love!!! My Autumn story so far would be in Cotswolds where I smelled Fall and saw leaves changing and birds flying away from the cold. It is true how smart animals are they always prepare for the change in seasons. I am looking forward to experiencing a lot more of Fall here in London hopefully soon. I also LOVE the teacup. Enjoy Fall and take pics of the changes and email me them when you can. There is nothing like Autumn in Utah NOTHING... Love Filly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful story !!...your post is wonderful autumn....i love summer more......but i like the colors of autumn!....and in our shop their are beautiful autumn flowers to make bouquets......lovely week......xxx..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Julie Marie,
    I found you through Celestina's blog. I haven't heard of those stories and they do sound enchanting! What an adorable post and teacup. I too love squirrels and I enjoy watching them romp through the woods. Enjoyed your post so much I hope you will stop by and say Hello. Have a delightful day.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Julie Marie...I just love all your little critters. When I was little I thought Hedgehogs were Porcupines! :( They are sooo ugly they are CUTE! I love all your photos! Brings back such wonderful memories from when I was small.

    Hope you are feeling better. Steveo is in finals this week and has class/tests on the 8th, our 33rd anniversary. :( First time ever that we won't be spending it doing something fun...

    Thinking of you. Love, Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet post Julie Marie...I loved it! What a cute collection of squirrels you have...Autumn has definitely come to your beautiful home.

    Hugs and Kisses,
    ♥Ana

    ReplyDelete