Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Approaching Autumn...


Autumn... my very favorite time of year...


Sweatshirt weather Jack and I call it. It is my nieces Filly and Liz's favorite time too, and we have so much fun preparing for it... I love the cool, crisp days when the sun just seems to take on a more beautiful glow... the evenings are just right for opening the windows and listening to the sounds of Nature preparing for the change of Seasons. Our daily Nature walks take on a different look as the surrounding countryside begins changing it's Summer colors to those of Fall... I love absolutely everything about my most favorite Season... the crimsons, rusts and burnt oranges of the foliage, watching the little squirrels on our walk scurrying about, gathering acorns and walnuts for their winter stash. This is my time to make my homemade salsa, with all fresh ingredients from our local Farmers Market... baking just seems more pleasurable this time of year too, and I love it when our home is filled with the pleasant aroma of my homemade zucchini bread, apple pie or a simmering crockpot of stew... soft, cuddly plaid throws are placed here and there in our home, ready to snuggle under for a cozy afternoon nap, or to relax with a cup of coffee and read a good book by the fireplace... for me, it is time to unwind from the garden's chores of Summer, and just relax and watch the changes taking place there... I can hardly wait to get our smoker out and smoke some fresh salmon... I love the smell of the smoldering woodchips permeating the air... funny how neighbors suddenly appear to see what the Heavenly scent is coming from my back yard... I am happy to share... Jonagolds and Honeycrisps, my very favorite apples start appearing at the little fruit stand down the lane... I stock up on these, they store very well throughout the entire winter... I also stock up on our favorite winter squash... Hubbard and Butternut, Acorn and Spaghetti squash... soon, I will decorate my porch with pumpkins and gourds... cornstalks and Indian corn... as the days become shorter, and night time falls, a relaxing glass of wine with Jack, a long soak in the tub, then off to bed to dream about the beautiful new Season as Autumn comes to Centerville... wishing you a beautiful beginning to this most glorious Season as well... xoxo...

16 comments:

  1. Autumn is a beautiful time of year. I love the smells and even the occasional chill in the air... harvest festivals... fall decorations.. it's all fun. So glad you are back, Julie Marie. Missed you! Gracie says 'hi Tessy'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home sweet lady.....take care of yourself now.....so you can make the most of this Autumn season you so lovingly posted about. (O:(O:

    Glad you are on the mend.

    xo

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thought of Autumn makes me swoon with joy...

    I hope you are feeling better~

    Sending hugs~Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julie,
    Your words make me long for Fall Days and the changes that the new season will bring. We are so ready for relief from these 100 plus degree days.
    Love your beautiful inspiring post!
    Continued get well wishes come your way. Take good care.
    Prayers and blessings.
    Love to you,
    Celestina Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you're feeling better, dear Julie! Those fall days are what I'm looking for too, my favorite time of the year. Take your time getting your strength back and rest! xoxo Debra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morning Ju Ju,
    Oh your post made me crave our favorite time of year. It is already starting to happen here in London, Paris, Cotswolds, Etc so I think it is upon us here in London. The days seem shorter and the air has a feeling of Fall in it. This feeling is hard to explain but you know what I mean. I love the bread you make and wish I could have a slice right now. I am looking forward to decorating soon as well. I love your passion for this season. I miss you and will hang my owl sign from you and think of you enjoying Fall across the Pond from me. I love you so much. Love Filly xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely post. I'm so ready for Fall, and some cooler weather, it's been soooooooo hot here in Texas, and where still waiting for some much needed rain! Hope your feeling better!
    hugs~~~ Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you feeling better now...yes autumn is wonderful that colors.....love from me...xxx..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Julie Marie,
    I LOVE autumn, but I am not ready to let go of summer yet this year for some reason. Usually I am soooo ready...maybe soon!! Glad you are doing better!!
    hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a pretty picture you paint with your words. Love it! el

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, baking and coffee! Also fall leaves and warm colors. So glad you are better. bighugs♥olive

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes autumn is a beautiful time, but here in the netherlands we have such a bad summer that gives the same feeling as autumn.Rainy, stormy..........We miss the summerfeeling and when I read your comments.....that you are looking forward to more cooler weather.Well I send you ours.(o:
    love from the netherlands

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this time of year too! It was so nice seeing you out and about. You looked wonderful. Did you receive your delivery? I'm so excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Autumn is delightful and my favorite time of the year. Thank you for taking us on a tour of your autumn. I am looking forward to cooler days and opening the windows to let the breeze in.

    Hope you are feeling better.

    Wishing you a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am SO envious that you are already having "sweatshirt" weather. It was so HOT when I opened my front door at 5am this morning it hit me like a muggy brick. It's still awful here. Fall will never come! It was 112* in Las Vegas yesterday when I drove down there for lunch with a friend. Help! I need to come stay with you and Jack! xoxo Amy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, time is just flying by...I can't believe how fast we are coming into autumn and soon after that...Yay!...Christmas. Love this time of the year.

    Much Love,
    ♥Ana

    ReplyDelete