Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Year Was 1940...

The year was 1940 and a pretty lady named Phyllis Ann Worden was named one of the Queens for the 24th of July celebration in Utah... that pretty lady was my beautiful mama... some of you may have seen some of these photos before, as each year I do a special post dedicated to my sweet mama who is my guardian angel... left us much too young 30 years ago to go to Heaven... and I miss her so much every single day... but today, I shall celebrate this most extraordinary lady who I love so much!...
The celebration has been called many things... "Pioneer Days", "Handcart Days", "Days of '47" or simply the 24th of July... but, in July 1940 it was called "Covered Wagon Days"... in addition to riding on floats throughout the state, the ladies also rode horses in all of the rodeos as well... don't you love just those darling cowgirl outfits and boots!... my mama is on the right in the photo above and the photo below...

Mama on the left in this photo below...

The 40's is my favorite era of all... the ladies dressed so feminine and beautifully... love those cute ankle strap open~toed shoes!... (mama on the right in photo below)... and those teeny little waists!...

I Googled Pioneer Days and here is what I found: "Pioneer Days is an official Utah State holiday celebrated in the US State of Utah with some celebrations in regions of surrounding states originally settled by mormon pioneers. It commemorates the entry of the first group of mormon pioneers into the Salt Lake valley in July of 1847, where they settled after being forced from Nauvoo, Illinois and other locations in the eastern US". That saddened me that it only mentioned mormons, as it was originally intended to celebrate ALL Utah pioneers. Our family is not mormon, and nowadays to be considered for royalty in the celebration, one must be a direct descendant of a mormon pioneer. But in 1940, that rule did not apply. I did some more research on Google and was happy to find this additional description: "Many Utahns also celebrate the day by remembering other pioneers such as Bishop Daniel Tuttle, who was responsible for Utah's first non~mormon schools, Rowland Halls St. Marks, and first public hospital, St. Marks in the 1800's. The Intertribal Pow~Wow in Liberty Park in Salt Lake City honors the rich cultural heritage and contributions of the areas American Indians, helping Utahns gain a deeper understanding of the regions history."...


So, this week, I shall celebrate ALL of Utah's pioneers... just like my mama did in July 0f 1940. (on left in photo above)...and I shall think about a pretty lady, a Queen, who presided over that celebration... and who just happened to be (and always will be) my mama... this post is for you mama, I love you so much... xoxo...


21 comments:

Sunray Gardens said...

Very pretty! I love the old photos also with all their history. Have a great day today.
Cher Sunray Gardens

Country Gal said...

Wonderful photos and history !
I miss my mum as well, they will always be in our hearts and memories! Have a good day !

June said...

I loved it when you posted about your mama before being one of the Queens of the day. She is such a beauty Julie Marie. I know you miss her so much!
I hope you enjoy all the celebrations. Give little Tessy a squeeze for me.
sending hugs...

Kit said...

Oh what wonderful pictures! She is stunning, now I know where you get your beauty from. It is wonderful that you remember her with such love. Makes me smile. Hugs, Kit

Everyday Sparkles said...

What a beautiful Mom! So elegant.

Shabbyfufu said...

So sweet Julie and all of the ladies are so pretty, including your Mama of course:-)

Thanks for popping over today....xoxo, Janet

Rita said...

This post is so sweet and your mom was a beautiful woman. I know that you miss her very much. I enjoyed reading abou the history you found. My mom is gone too, but one day I'll see her again!

Bunny Rose Cottage said...

I LOVE these beautiful photos Julie!! what a sweet tribute to your mom. I too love the 40's. I really enjoyed reading the wonderful information you provided as well. You always have such beautiful heartfelt posts!
Love ya,
Amy

Sandi said...

Your mother is beautiful Julie Marie!!!! What a neat tribute to a lovely lady!!
Blessings~

Rebecca said...

Sweet friend...this is just the most wonderful post. I LOVE seeing and reading about your gorgeous mother and all the elegant things she was involved in. The pictures just take my breath away. Truly women were LADIES back then...

What has happened to us?

LOVELY FRIEND!

L*O*V*E*L*Y!!!!

xoRebecca

Sincerely Retro said...

What a beautiful blog. Seems the older I get, the more I love history. THanks for sharing and I look forward to more. I'm a new follower :)

Zuzu said...

Such a beauty - love all the photos! I have a few photos of my mama from that time as well - so precious!
Wishing you a lovely weekend, Julie Marie!
Hugs,
Zuzu

My Grama's Soul said...

Good morning Julie....You mom was so very beautiful.....and so are you......I might add!!!! Such a lovely tribute to her and all the wonderful people that have made Utah such a great state.

xo

Jo

Philly and Ellie said...

I hope you have a good "Covered Wagon Days" tomorrow Ju Ju. I love these pics of Grandma Phyllis and She looks gorgeous in everyone of them. I love that she was in the parade and love her dresses. I can see her in you and my mom and sometimes me and Liz. I like the info you provided and some of it I didnt know. Think of your mamma on this day and the year 1940 wouldnt it be neat to have a glimpse back in time.... Love you lots

Phyllis Ann aka Filly

Ana said...

Good morning Julie Marie,
I alwyas love reading about your beautiful family. Your sweet mama sure did make a beautiful queen. Love the pictures. 1940 was definitely a good year...That's when my mama was born :-) Happy Sunday to you my dear friend.

Much love,
♥Ana

Celestina Marie Designs said...

Dear Julie Marie,
I just love this story of Pioneer Days and your gorgeous mama. She really was beautiful and you look just like her. The history and the photos are sure treasures to hold close.
Thank you for sharing your special event and the part your mother played in the 40's. She was truly a special lady and you carry her on beautifully. Love you!

XO Celestina Marie

Aura said...

What a special way to honor your Mom. Her beauty and elegance are stunning so I can see why she was chosen as a Queen of that special even. It was very interesting to read about the research you made of that event. Have a great week Julie Marie.

Bobbi said...

Oh Julie Marie, I loved this post!! You're mama is just beautiful and you resemble her a lot. Her face shows love and kindness and she has obviously passed that down to her beautiful daughter... Thanks for sharing this.

Mariette's Back to Basics said...

Dearest Julie Marie,

Wow, how refreshing to land on another blog that is using her very own photos, not just plucking things from the Internet...
Compliments! Further, this story about your elegant Mama did it for me; so I follow...
Lots of love,

Mariette

Ivy and Elephants said...

Dear Julie,
I so enjoyed reading about your pretty Mama, .... so that's where you get your stellar good looks! It was such an elegant and romantic time. Thanks for sharing her and the history with us.
Hugs,
Patti

NanaDiana said...

Your Mom was absolutely beautiful! What a gorgeous woman. Julie, I know this must really be kind of a bittersweet post for you...making you smile but also remember her with a bit of sadness in her passing.

Enjoy your time away- xo Diana