Monday, March 7, 2011

Comfort Food From Wayside Treasures...


Today, I am craving some good old~fashioned comfort food... for a number of reasons... one of the latest reasons is we are expecting a major winter snowstorm to come blowing in early this afternoon... winds of 30 mph plus and throughout the night snowfall anywhere from 8-12 inches... I am sooo sick of winter... my friend Sandi at Wayside Treasures posted this recipe for Penne Pasta With Tomato Herb Cream Sauce a while back... it is so delicious and satisfies my need for comfort food... it looks as yummy as it tastes... here is Sandi's recipe...



2 T oil
1 clove garlic minced
1 med onion chopped
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
3 c penne pasta (I used 3 1/2)
1/2 c whip cream (not sour cream whipping cream)

Saute onion and garlic in oil. Add tomatoes, sugar, basil, oregano and salt. Bring to a boil, then simmer 20-25 minutes. Meanwhile cook pasta. Stir cream into sauce and heat through. Pour over noodles. This is the second time I have made this... it is so easy and so yummy!... and truly comforts the soul...I forgot to add the other picture, but we had it with a glass of wine and crusty hard rolls... xoxo...


14 comments:

Bunny Rose Cottage said...

Hi Julie :)
We got snow over the weekend :( I too am soo tired of winter. The sun is shining today but it is freezing. Hopefully you dont get it as bad as they say!! That recipe looks delicious, I love pasta!!
Hugs,
Amy

Ana said...

Yummy yum, yum!...Looks delish...

Thank you so much for your sweet birthday wishes and for the beautiful flower on your e-card...How special I feel to have such kind and thoughtful friends like you. Thank you.

Please stay warm and safe...Sending you tons of warm hugs. ~♥Ana

Sandi said...

Yumm...now I need to make some more of this pasta.

You poor thing...another winter storm?? I sure hope we don't get anymore as I am sick of winter! We got probably four inches Friday night and were shocked. Last we knew we were supposed to get *flurries*...well it was flurries allright! :)
Blessings~

Blondie's Journal said...

oh...this looks delicious! I love a creamy red sauce! I may have to try this.

Sorry about all of the bad weather you have been getting. It sounds like quite a storm coming your way. We aren't going to have sun all week. As long as it's not too cold, I'm happy. Stay warm, my friend.

XO,
Jane

Mari said...

HI JULIE MARIE :)
YOUR MAKING MY MOUTH WATER :)
I WILL PRAY THAT THE STORM WILL NOT GO YOUR WAY AND SEND AN EXTRA PRAYER FOR SOME SUNSHINE FOR YOU :)
PLEASE GIVE PRINCESS TESS A SMOOTH FROM ME AND PRINCESS PEBBLES!!

XO~MARI

Bobbi said...

Hi Julie Marie. You're comfort food sounds wonderful. Sorry about your expected snow. I'm ready for spring as well. In the meantime... enjoy that lovely food and wine.

Country Gal said...

Looks and sounds wonderful yummy! We have had enough of winter as well! Come on spring .Our favorite comfort food is home made stew ,then later a pot of tea and some short bread cookies yummy . Have a good day !

My Grama's Soul said...

That dish sound so yummy.....am still counting calories....but when this is over...I'm going to make this dish.

Xo

Jo

Dawnll said...

Always enjoy a hardy comfort food dish.
This looks so yummy too.
My honey is Italian and we need to have pasta at least once a week.
Stay safe and warm and hopefully winter will be done really really soon.

A Vintage Chic said...

That looks like some yummy comfort food, for sure, Julie Marie! We're having pasta tonight, too...just felt like a good idea! Kind of blustery here in California, too...no blizzard, though!

Enjoy the comfort, dear friend...stay warm & cozy!

Julie

Celestina Marie Designs said...

Hi Julie,
Oh now I am so hungry just viewing this yummy recipe.
Thank you for sharing this dish. It would be a great addition to my collection and cucina recipes. LOL
I am amazed that you had so much snow again~~~~~ My goodness I know you are so tired of it all.
I wish I could send some warmer temps to melt your snow. It really has been a long winter for so many.
It is cloudy here today and rain predicted, but we do need it for the new flowers.
Spring is really going to be a welcome season for everyone.
Enjoy your pasta.
Sending much love to you,
Celestina Marie

Sheila R said...

I too am tired of winter and sooo ready for spring.

I did use many of my "besties" in your journal since I was making it for you, my dear friend.

Have a wonderful week!

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

Hi Julie Marie, this looks delish!!! I'm so sorry that your having more snow, I know your ready for some Spring weather! Hopefully it will be here soon! Thanks for sharing that wonderful recipe with us!!!
hugs~~~ Daphne

*Ulrike* said...

That looks so yummy, and today with the rain that might be just the meal!