Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Finding a Happy Medium...


Do you ever feel like there just are not enough hours in the day to do all of the things you want to do?... let alone, all of the things you need to do?... I am finding that more and more... when I retired three years ago, people asked me "don't you ever get bored?"... heck no!... I love soo many things in life... there truly are not enough hours in the day... I could write a book about all the the things I love to do... read, write, garden, crafts, sewing, cooking, baking, photographing, especially Nature, our daily Nature walks, sipping coffee with Jack as we watch the sun rise, quietly looking out at our glorious sunsets as night time falls... happy time spent with family, lots of love and laughter... my list of happy things I love goes on and on... I have been seriously considering volunteering some time this summer at one of our wildlife rehabilitation centers... my love for all God's precious little creatures is so strong and I feel the need to help them all I can...


As Spring approaches and warm weather finally arrives, I want to be out of doors as much as possible... there are so many blissful things to enjoy... where do I begin?... I want to run barefoot once more through the tall, cool grass, watch the Hummingbird moths sip their sweet nectar from my hanging ivy geraniums I shall place out front...tend to my gardens (my passion)... sip a glass of wine as Jack and I watch a full moon rise above our beautiful foothills to the east of our home... I want to breathe in all that this earth has to offer, all of the beauty that God created for us... and find pleasure in every thing I do...each and every day... I want to take time to daydream... to treasure happy memories of my loved ones no longer here... times have changed so since each one of them has gone... this beautiful book belonged to my sweet mama... it is Anne of Green Gables, one of my favorites... long, long ago she gently placed a beautiful flower from her mama's cottage garden carefully between the pages to press... years later, it is still there... right where she put it so very long ago... as I looked at it today, I thought how that everlasting flower is just like my everlasting love for her, and all of my family... tonight, I shall begin reading her book one more time... and carefully placing the flower exactly where she did... did that page have a special meaning for her?... did she carefully choose which pages the flower would be placed between... in my heart, I know there is special meaning behind it all...my mama loved all things too and had so many hobbies and talents... along with taking care of our home and family and her beloved gardens... she always found her "happy medium"...

I also love to post on my blog... that way, I share my love of taking photos and writing... and I enjoy visiting all of the beautiful and inspiring blogs out there... I will be totally honest here though... I do not know how you all do it?... what is your secret to balancing all of the other pleasures in life you enjoy as well as blogging?...or is blogging your priority?... I have joined a number of blog parties and they are so much fun... but once again, being honest here, it takes me alot of time to prepare for those, as I like my posts to be exactly the way I want them...blogging is one form of my journals...a place to keep memories...I want them to be happy and inspiring... not hurried or rushed... I would love to hear some of your ideas... many of you post every day, some once a week, some whenever the mood strikes... are you like me and want to enjoy ALL that life has to offer?... do you blog to please others?... or to please yourself?...do you find blogging relaxing?... or do you sometimes find it stressful?... I will ponder these things as I sit tonight by my cozy fire (we were -22 degrees today with our wind chill!)... and read my mama's book... and think about finding that "happy medium"... xoxo...


17 comments:

  1. Aloha Julie,
    I so enjoyed this post, you're quite eloquent.
    When I blog I do it for myself and for others, hoping they're interested in what I blog about.
    Here on this island, it's so wonderful to see what other crafters are doing and what interests other bloggers share. It's like a connection from across the Pacific Ocean to the US continent.
    Thank you (mahalo) for sharing.
    Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I blog for myself first, to document what I am doing both creatively and what is on my mind. When it becomes a chore, I remind myself to take a break and step away. But I also find that I enjoy visiting other blogs, finding inspiration and friendship along the way.

    If you have time, pop on over and enter my Sweet Giveaway as a thank you to all my sweet blogging friends.

    Wishing you a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello dear friend...after reading your lovely post...I paused to reflect who do I blog for. Sometimes for myself....sometimes for my readers...but one thing I always try to accomplish is to spread some beauty out here in this world. I know you do the same...I think that is why we are so loyal to one another.

    Have a wonderful night,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Julie...I so understand what you're talking about, dear friend!

    I find that when I forget to blog for myself I don't enjoy it nearly as much...it DOES become a chore. I don't post everyday because I put lots of time and energy into it--and usually include something I've made to go along with it, and it takes time. Also, my family is my priority--and they're a busy bunch!

    I stopped joining in with the parties because it consumed me--I enjoy visiting them, but it takes too much time, and it isn't always "me".

    The things you do are beautiful, my friend...do it for you...when you want and how you want.

    Stay cozy!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Julie,
    As I read your post I was thinking to myself that you are really doing all the things you wrote about. It's in your heart..Life, it's the best!
    As Anne (with an 'E') would say,
    Kindredly yours,
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! You and I have talked about this before, and I have cut waaay back on blogging. It isn't because I have lost the passion for it, just that, like you, there are so many things I love to do, or just plain have to do. I am enjoying it so much more now that I have stepped back from it a little. It was becoming a big stressor for me, and I had to make a change.
    It has been so cold here too. It makes me want to stay in and nest a little. My house needs a good cleaning, so I'm taking advantage of the cold and staying home and doing just that.
    sending hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finding that happy medium? Such a great question, for me I never get bored, blog as time permits, sometimes often and sometimes not. I think it is a great brain activity as I didn't even know how to use a computer until 2004, first time I ever turned one on. I have learned a lot and see it it as another form of exercise for the mind. My parents are gone, my husband is gone, my children are grown and it is another way of connecting me to other people with creative interests. I lost my best friend to cancer and everyone in my age group are either gone or they just grew old in their thinking and ways. Most of my blogging friends are young enough to be my children. That being said we started our family young and this generation waits longer to get married and have families, like I said Young at Heart, your sidebar is right age is only a number. I'm so happy that I met you, you think like I do! Hugs my new friend, Marilou xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I blog to hopefully share my joy and love for life, fun and happiness brought about by creating and my deep faith in the Most High. I think we are all more alike than different and each one of us put our own unique twist on things and the path n which we are traveling.

    You inspire me and I'm sooooooooooo loving your new blog pic. STUNNING!

    Miss K's note is sitting on my desk waiting for a stamp. As soon as the snow clears and I can get to the post I will mail it to you.

    Love you girlfriend.

    xoRebecca

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Julie,

    As always, its so wonderful to slow myself down and visit your blog. I think maybe your mother did know exactly where to place those little flowers, they fit prefect on the page, right where the text ended.
    I don't blog as much as I would like to, it's wonderful people like you that have me addicted to blogging! I blog to stay in touch and share my little piece of the world with all my new friends.

    Hugs'
    Catlyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Julie,
    Lovely post!
    I am so feeling what you wrote!
    I recently began babysitting my 4 month old granddaughter full time while her Mommy goes back to work.
    I also work part time and love doing so many of the same kind of hobbies you mentioned.
    And I love blogging!
    I don't know how I am going to fit it all in but I am going to try.
    Thank-you for writing such a inspiring piece today.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good Morning Julie Marie. I loved this post. Your positive outlook is so uplifting!! I feel the same as you: I do not get bored! There is way too much to do. How wonderful that you could retire young and enjoy life! I do not like to work. it takes up so much time in my day, and I don't like where my job has taken me. I am working on that, though... more to come. I love to blog.... and It's funny because I was just thinking of this this morning. It's like... it used to be when my Mom was alive, I would go to her with every silly little thing about my day. She was always there to listen and appreciate me. Now I blog. And the sweet comments are (my mom)-accepting me and loving me-silliness and all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow you always seem to read my mind or come along at the perfect time to jog my thoughts.
    I blog because it is a creative outlet for me- some days I feel like I am stressed because I agree to do so much.
    I have been thinking so much about simplifying my life and doing more things I really enjoy and not just to please others.
    I so enjoy all the friendships I have made in this wonderful hobby.You are one of those rare jewels I treasure.
    Thanks for the thoughts.
    I will be posting a picture each day from my son's wedding and can't wait to have you see the doves being released in a cloud of bubbles- I thought of you during that moment.
    Hugz my dear friend

    ReplyDelete
  13. Julie,

    What an amazing post, and I agree. I recently told my family that there should be 36 hours in the day-24 for doing what needs to be done, and 12 for sleeping!! :D

    Btw, your apron is so pretty~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Julie, This post just makes me smile as I have a book that my mother placed a fall leaf inside many years ago. It is brittle, but still pressed so perfectly. Aren't these wonderful memories?
    Yes, I do feel like I could use more hours in the day to accomplish all I have a mind to do. My mother told me once, "we all have 24 hours in our day with 8of those for sleeping. What we do with the remainder is up to us."
    So I hope I am using my time wisely. It can be a challange at times.
    I too, love to do all the things you list, as well as paint.

    As a blogger, I do it to share with others my hopes, dreams, creations and heart. And I visit to share in that same idea with those I meet.
    I never get bored or lonely as I always have plenty to keep myself busy and I love solitude too.

    It really is a wonderful journey and each day something new to be thankful for. Especially dear friends like you!!
    XOXO Celestina Marie

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really liked reading your post. I think I blog for myself, but I like to share just in case there is someone out there that just might like my style!
    Take Care,
    Ulrike

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Julie Marie,
    What beautiful sentiment!! The romance of Anne, your Mother and you all wrapesd together perfectly with a bit of Larspur, so sweet!
    As for time enough to do it all I wish there were, everyday I struggle with balance:-) I think it is good to have too many interests it beats being bored!
    Hugs to You,
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sweet Julie Marie....I'm so glad that you let me know about this post, I read it and everything else on this page:-). By the way....you do write beautifully and so from the heart...... I love to come here! I so know what you mean. Not enough hours in the day and embracing each day is so important:-)

    Love to you....xoxo, Janet

    P.S. Murphy is hanging in there with lots of meds for his heart and sends tail wags to you

    ReplyDelete