Thursday, February 17, 2011

Bloom...

Yesterday I stopped into my friend Jeni's shop and we talked a bit about everything, including attitudes and growing older... Jeni told me about a lady she met that was in her late 80's and was so vibrant and full of life, she made quite an impression on Jeni... it reminded me of a story my friend Shirley told me recently... Shirley is my cute little hairdresser... her salon is in her home, so when I go there, it is one on one, no other appointments waiting as she knows how to schedule perfectly!... so we chat and laugh and solve the cares of the world...

Shirley told me a story about two little "vintage" ladies who are brought up from a local retirement~rest home to get their hair done... they had both gone on a little daytrip out to Antelope Island, which is out in the Great Salt Lake just to the west of where I live... a causeway was built years ago so you can drive out to the island... it is quite large and there is alot of wildlife to see, campgrounds, trails, food, a fun place to visit... anyway, since I don't know the two ladies names, I will call the first one Cloudy Lady... she instantly began to complain to Shirley about the daytrip to the island... "it was a long bus ride, and people were loud and noisy as they sang songs, the road was bumpy, it was hot, we had to sit on wooden picnic tables, and they served us buffalo burgers... I hated it, they wanted us to look at wildlife, who cares about wildlife? The bus ride back was hot, there was no air conditioning, did I tell you I hated it? Why do they make us go these places anyway"... Several hours later, the second lady came in, who had been on the same daytrip... I will call this lady Sunshine Lady... she and Cloudy Lady are close to the same age, approaching ninety... She walked into Shirleys in her jeans and pretty blouse, her heels went "click click click" on the floor in her cute little shoes she had just been given by her daughter... "we went to Antelope Island Shirley!... it was so much fun on the bus going out there, we all sang songs, just like when we were little kids on the school bus... it was so much fun looking out at the lake, and when we got to the island, we had a picnic on picnic tables and I tried a buffalo burger for the very first time in my life!... I took pictures of some of the wildlife out there... I love these daytrips and can't wait 'till the next one!"... Two ladies... same daytrip... different attitudes about life... when I grow up, I want to be just like Sunshine Lady!... how about you???... xoxo...


30 comments:

My Grama's Soul said...

I think you are already SUNSHINE LADY.....dear friend.

Hugs,

Jo

Rebecca said...

Yes sweetie...I want to be Sunshine Lady, too.

We have only one life...one chance to live it to it's fullest and to be all we were intended to be...

Were it not for grace...I don't know where I'd be. Probably some Cloudy Lady on a road to nowhere.

Love to you. Thank you for the sunshine you give us all...especially on those days when our hearts are hurting.

xo~Rebecca

Terra said...

Beautiful and instructive story, and I hope I am and will continue to be a Sunshine Lady! I am having a book giveaway today on my blog, of an upbeat book. Come on over!

Becca's Dirt said...

Glass half full. That's the way I see it too. I like Sunshine and I want to be like Sunshine Lady too. Have a nice weekend.

Sharli said...

As is typical for you - you've nailed it! I, too, want to be Sunshine! What a wonderful illustration!

How do you keep the primrose so beautiful? Steve gave me one on our second date and I've just about killed it - I'm so ashamed!

Hugs!

Kiki aka Victoria said...

Yay Such a super-beautiful and inspiring read! great post! I have been accused of being too "sunshiny"..I dont mind at all..!Wonderful post..a beautiful spark to my day!Thankyou!
Victoria~

" SHABBY JUNK" said...

I want to be Sunshine lady too, not some crumpy old lady. I am 57 so I will practice being the nice lady. judy

Alice W. said...

me too! great, great story! I have heard myself sounding pretty negative these days about a lot of things and then when I lay in bed at night I replay it wondering why my outlook is so down sometimes. Hopefully I can catch on with Sunshine Lady and see the good in life too :)

Mari said...

HELLO JULIE MARIE~JUST LIKE YOU WHEN I GROW UP, I WANT TO BE JUST LIKE THE SUNSHINE LADY :) IT SOUNDS LIKE SHE ENJOYS EVERY MINUTE OF HER LIFE :) AND ALL OF GOD BEAUTY :)

XOX~MARI

C'est Moi, Julie Marie said...

Hi Sharli... that is actually one of my African Violets and they seem to do well for me... I talk to them!... xoxo Julie Marie

C'est Moi, Julie Marie said...

PS To all of you sweet ladies, I think you are ALL Sunshine ladies and your comments always brighten my day!... xoxo Julie Marie PPS I will be 62 in May and life is still wonderful!!!

Sue @ Not the Good Scissors! said...

I want to be Sunshine Lady. It is just as easy to be cranky as it is to be happy, so why not choose happy. Besides don't we all want to be remembered as Sunshine Lady? Who in the world would want to be remembered as Cloudy Lady?
Sending SUNSHINE your way!
Hugs, Sue

Shirley said...

Life is good and I enjoy life. When life gives me a kick, I just kick it back. I would rather be the Sunshine Lady..even on a cloudy day..
This was a nice story!
Yours Sincerely,
Shirley
(hahahah)

My Blessed Serendipity Life said...

Isn't it funny how two people exposed to the same things can have such a totally different outlook?Sunshine lady has the right attitude. I say sunshine all the time!

Danielle

Dawnll said...

You are already sunshine lady just many many years younger!
Love the story.
Just wanted to let you know I tried sending an email to the address listed on your blog and it wouldn't send said it wasn't valid- Weird would you mind sending me an email with your "right" account and I will respond so I can add your new address in my file.
Thanks sweetie

Sandi said...

What a great story Julie Marie! I am working on that this year. My bff and I vent to each other and once in awhile we say we are going to be the old bitties in the nursing home, but I don't EVER want to be known as that. I want to be as kind as humanly possible.

Is that a postcard in the background with a birds nest and flowers? It is beautiful as is your flower!!!!!
Blessings~

C'est Moi, Julie Marie said...

Hi Sandi, yes, that is a postcard on my mirror... I bought them a while back from Heather Bullard's shop... not sure if she still sells them, but I love them!... xoxo Julie Marie

Country Gal said...

Awesome post! reminds me of my mum and her friend Gladis, mum was the sunshine lady and Gladis was the Cloudy lady and they did trips like this and their stories ended up the same as on this post. It"s like the story was about my mum and Gladis ! When you go to your hair dresser do you chat and have tea as well that sound lovely. Have a great day !

Blondie's Journal said...

What a sweet, sweet story! I love Miss Sunshine! I know I can't always see the glass half full, but I try. I like to try new things and find that I am usually happy that I did. And you of course are Miss Sunshine, minus the extra years!

XO,
Jane

E. Charlotte said...

Sunshine lady sounds awesome! I like her attitude so much! That's how we should all live our days. :)

Jonny J Petros said...

Beautiful story! yes I want to be like the sunshine lady too! life is too short to be miserable plus it sounded like a fun trip to me! Sincerely,Jonny

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

Hi Julie Marie, I want to be Sunshine lady too! What an inspiring post!!! Thanks for sharing!
Blessings~~~ Daphne

*Ulrike* said...

Sunshine lady definitely! My 93 year old grandmother whom I just saw the other day was talking about what flowers she was going to plant in her garden! Physically she is not so able to do that much although she will take a stick and pound the ground, but mentally she is still going strong with it!
Thanks for sharing that lovely story.
Take Care,
Ulrike

June said...

Love, Love, Love this post Julie Marie. What a great story to share with us all!!! Isn't it strange how differently our outlooks on life can be? I agree with Jo (my grama's soul) you already ARE Sunshine Lady!

I also loved the previous post about you getting in and doing your Spring cleaning. We are both on the same wavelength I believe, because I started mine too. I feel the same way about getting the closed up Winterness out of the house and welcome the fresh air. It feels so good to get it all shiny and new again.
Hugs to you today!

Philly and Ellie said...

I think SunShine Lady sounds like a blast... I think the way you live your life and your outlook on things is what makes or breaks your happiness!!! I can almost picture Sunshine lady the way you described her. Here is to a sunny Day! Filly xoxo

Kit said...

Yes, you are certainly a Sunshine Lady! It is the only way to go thru this wonderful world of ours. Hugs, Kit

Mari said...

HELLO AGAIN JULIE MARIE :) THANKS SOO MUCH FOR YOUR SWEET COMMENTS ON MY BLOG :) IM SOOO LOOKING FORWARD TO RECEIVING PRINCESS PEBBLES GIFT FROM YOUR SWEET PRINCESS TESS :)

XOX~MARI

tales from an oc cottage said...

You are hilarious! I think you were born a "Sunshine Lady"! ;}

m ^..^

Celestina Marie Designs said...

Hi Julie,
I love this story and yes, I am Sunshine Lady too. Life is just too short to dwell on the negative. It is better to look for the joys all around us. Thank you for sharing this wonderful story of attitudes.
You always encourage and inspire with delightful post and wonderful words.
Have a Sunshine Day Sweetest Friend.
Love to you XO Celestina Marie

Ana said...

Me too, me too...I want to grow up to be just like Sunshine Lady. Oh and I agree with Jo from My Grama's Soul...I too think you are already Sunshine Lady...You always brighten up my day.

Hugs and Kisses,
♥Ana