Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Vintage Christmas Friday...Santas, elves and angels...


Hello, and welcome to my Vintage Christmas Friday post, a little early, as, like all of you ladies, I have much to do this week... but I didn't want to miss Debra's party at Common Ground!... I have had my post ready to go, all about my vintage elves, santas and angels... then something beautifully magical happened... last year, I posted about a wonderful estate sale I went to... the kind you dream of, where there are wonderful treasures everywhere you look, and everything is next to nothing in price... and no one else was even looking at the things I was... I really thought I was dreaming... anyway, I came across two pair of vintage ice skates... they were 25 cents a pair, can you believe it???... So I snatched them up and sent them to my dear friend Celeste of Celestina Marie Designs... Celeste is a beautiful painter and I had seen some of the gorgeous vintage ice skates she had done in the past... and thought she might be able to use them... one pair was the teeniest ones I have ever seen... and the other pair was a ladies pair... Celeste painted the teeny ones in her trademark pink roses and fufu'd them all up... they now live in her beautiful guest bedroom... yesterday, a box arrived for ME and inside... oooh, I could hardly believe my eyes!... Celeste had painted the ladies pair for me, with the most stunning winter scene... she knows I LOVE barns, and painted these treasures to thank me for sending her the skates... I love finding special little treasures for my blogging friends at estate sales, then surprising them with things they collect or craft with...I have displayed my stunning skates underneath our woodland~Nature decorated tree...


She had learned from an antiques dealer friend of hers that these are from the 40's... my very favorite era!... making them even more special to me... her inspiration for this design came from a favorite painter of hers named Debbie Toews who she had studied under... sadly, Debbie has now passed away, but Celeste thought this was a beautiful way to honor her dear friend Debbie as well... Debbie... I hope you are looking down and seeing these beautiful skates and knowing your love and inspiration was so appreciated by Celeste, and now by me also... I thought this beautiful treasured gift would be perfect to start out my vintage Christmas post with today... thank you so very much dear Celeste!...
Our home is filled this time of year with Santa and his helpers... c'mon!... I'll introduce you to some of them... Santa in the front is one of my vintage Annalee Dolls from the early 1960's... Mr. and Mrs. Santa and the babies are from the early 1950's...Some of the elves love to get together for a little break from all the hustle and bustle of the holidays in one of my mudrooms... I tell you... these guys are everywhere in here!..."Made in Japan" puts these cuties 1941 or prior...

Annalee Dolls Santa from the '60's... I love to collect vintage Annalees... originally they were handmade only in Meredith, New Hampshire... today, they are still being made, however the new ones are now made in China... so sad no longer made in the good old US of A... the new ones are adorable too though, and I also collect those... all Annalees in this post however are my vintage ones...
I think this guy has been into the spiked eggnog a bit too much already!...

Nope, not the same elves as above... this one is wearing a green hat!...I think his sweetie is the sister of the elf in the other photo... they look alot alike!...
Love, love love Holt Howard collectibles, especially Christmas ones... my sister Jill gave me these darling little Holt Howard elves last year for Christmas...aren't they precious!...She also gave me this beautiful little angel bell... c. 1950...Mr. and Mrs. Santa (Annalees) from a wonderful estate sale many years ago... these are from the '60's...What adorable faces!...Sooo many kneehuggers... they sit in the tree, under the tree... all over the place!...
My most favorite vintage Annallee of all is my little reindeer from the early '60's... he is begging Santa for a treat as Mrs. Claus gives Santa a much deserved backrub... (also vintage Annalees from the early 60's)...
Thanks so much for visiting with me here today... I love decorating for Christmas, especially with all of my vintage decorations... and I love sharing them with you!... I hope you will all visit Debra at Common Ground for all of the wonderful vintage Christmas posts... I will link up to her post tomorrow, and visit everyone else too!... xoxo


20 comments:

rustandruffles said...

Amazing vintage treasures Julie Marie...the skates are amazing..I found a pair of old black speed skates the other day.
Happy day!
xojanis

Dawn said...

Oh those skates are just amazing! What a beautiful scene and so darn pretty.
I always enjoy all your beautiful and adorable Christmas decorations. I would love to see your whole house. I bet it is all breathtaking to look at.
Thank you for sharing a piece of the past- I always enjoy my visit.

Celestina Marie Designs said...

Hi Julie Marie,
What a wonderful post of treasured favorites. I love your little elfs and the Annalee dolls are simply precious. These all remind me of my childhood and such wonderful memories. Your displays are wonderful and I love the little guy who drank too much eggnog as you say! LOL Santa and his helpers have such a good home with you!
It is so much fun that you can enjoy them in displays all around your home. Happiness is everywhere!!

So sweet of you to show your skates. They were so much fun to create and I am glad you enjoy them. Thank you for the opportunity to paint a pair of skates so unique from the past.

LOOOOVVVEEEEEE~~~~ your new hair cut!! Looks terrific. What a doll!!Pretty new pic too!
Merry Christmas dear friend.
Love to you, Celestina Marie

C'est Moi, Julie Marie said...

Oh Celeste... you flatter me... thank you for your sweet comment about my new haircut... I was feeling a bit "old" with my hair up in a bun (I would never call anyone old, except ME with my hair up like that!)... so I went for something "sassy", as Jack calls me that alot... (I do hope that is a compliment from him????? hmmm???)... xoxo Julie Marie

Sharli said...

Your post is amazing today, Julie Marie! The skates are incredible - what a treasure!!! I love your other collection (er, I mean friends).

You said "kneehuggers" - I know them as Nissa (not sure that's spelled right - I've only heard the word, not seen it in writing). My ex-husband is Danish - we celebrated a lot of Danish traditions and the Nissa are Christmas elves of sort - that need to be included to keep them from stirring up mischief.

Hugs -

C'est Moi, Julie Marie said...

Hi Sharli, the ones you are talking about are called "Nisse" and yes, those were Danish and mischievous little elves!... these I have have always been called "kneehuggers" but they are full of mischief too!... xoxo Julie Marie

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

Hi Julie Marie, I just love all of your Christmas decoration, I'll bet your home looks like a winter wonder land... and OMG those skates are so beautiful, Celestina did an amazing job painting them!!!
hugs~~ Daphne

Sandi said...

Love your treasures Julie Marie, but LOVE LOVE LOVE your haircut even more! Wish I was that brave. Hubby doesn't like *short* although I may do it sometime anyways! lol I definitely need a new look!
Hugs~

Kelly said...

Oh my word! Those skates are adorable!!! Lucky you!! I think I'd cherish those forever!!

Deb said...

I LOVE all your vintage Christmas decorations Julie Marie. The skates are stunning! I posted about skates today too :-) love them (and I can't skate) :-) ♥

Karyn Bernard (French Charming) said...

Oh my goodness...your skates are dreamy! What a lovely surprise and Celeste is one talented painter! Love all of your Christmas treasures and you are looking super amazing with your new hair...gorgeous my friend!

xoxo
Karyn

Mari said...

HELLO SWEET JULIE MARIE,

I JUST ADORE CELESTINA SHE MAKES SUCH BEAUTIFUL ITEMS AND YOUR SKATES ARE JUST GORGEOUS :) I AM LUCKY TO OWN ONE OF HER SWEET SKATES :)
LOVE YOUR COLLECTION OF VINTAGE SANTA'S A I JUST LOVE THE 40 ERA AS WELL!! I LOVE TO WATCH THE OLD MOVIES IN THE 40'S WHAT A BEAUTIFUL TIME THAT MOST HAVE BEEN :)

HAPPY HOLIDAYS MY FRIEND :)

XO~MARI

mydesignchic said...

How festive and fun...love it!!

Olive Cooper said...

The skates are darling and so are the vintage decorations.

Marie Antionette said...

I love the skates Julie Marie,They are drop dead gorgeous.Celeste does some of the finest work.
You brought back some good memories Dear.I remember all those old Santas and figurine.We had them too.I love vintage Christmas.
A wonderful post.
Blessings
XXOO Marie Antionette

lila said...

what a lovely home!!!!
amazing collection of vintage treasures,wow!!
have a happy Christmas my friend!
hugs
lila

Cheryl~ZanyMayd said...

Love the painted skates & the story behind them.... I also adore the Sweet vintage Elves & Santa's, they are Adorable~
Cheryl

Amy Arnaz said...

Good Morning Julie Marie~
With The Nutcracker finally behind me I'm able to look thru my favorite blogs ~ and I was surprised when I looked at yours because it look like you cut your hair? Did you? Also, those skates are wonderful. Your friend's painting is too. Have a wonderful Friday my friend. xoxo Amy

My Grama's Soul said...

Good morning Julie Marie....I think those ice skates are OVER THE TOP MAGNIFICENT!! What a wonderful idea to have them enhanced by an artist....what a treasure.

Hugs to you dear lady,

Jo

Miss Sandy said...

I have a special fondness for those little knee hugging elves, so adorable. My grandmother had a large collection of them. They look so happy and joyful. Thank you for sharing your collection. Have a wonderful holiday!