Sunday, September 26, 2010

Oh, go take a hike! ...


Have you ever said that to someone... you know, like "get lost"... "go jump in the lake"... or maybe something even a little stronger???... I have...when I want someone to just leave me alone... then on my walk today, I realized that is one of the best pieces of advice I could have given them!... "Go take a hike!"... walking is one of the very best things you can do for your health, both physically and mentally... after I came home from the hospital from my surgery last month, I felt, well... for lack of a better word... YUCKY!... I was extremely tired, in alot of pain, and had a bad case of the blues... I have never been one to just lay around and do nothing... so, I had a talk with myself (yes, I DO talk to myself, and even answer myself, doesn't everyone???)... and decided I needed to up my walking some... C'mon!... "take a hike" with me today!...

I like to start very early in the morning, when much of the world is still asleep... let's head down the trail...

Before long, the moon has disappeared somewhere out beyond the Great Salt Lake and the brilliant Autumn sun is up... look!... A flock of beautiful Canada Geese overhead, flying in a straight row... twenty three of them to be exact... can't fit them all in the photo... Breathtaking!...

Late Autumn gardens... pretty morning glory clamboring up a white fence...

"Hello Crow"... "how's the view from up there?"...

One mighty big pumpkin!...

Oooh, look at this gorgeous old iron gate...

And look what's inside the old gate... I think I want to live here!...

Looking up to the foothills, they are ablaze with color... so many beautiful sights to see... blue skies... the air is fresh and crisp... little critters along the way...

My "yucky" feeling is gone and my blues have changed to bliss... I have now increased my walk to five miles a day, and I feel great!... just being out in Nature is such a cure~all... I hope you enjoyed walking with me today...

"Even when I'm feeling low, I can always find solace in Nature,
a restorative when dealing with pain.
Wonder heals through an alchemy of the mind."
~ Diane Ackerman, Author and
Former "Writer in Residence" Victoria Magazine 1997

Could not have said it better myself!... and next time someone tells you to "go take a hike"... smile at them, and do it!... wishing you a blissful day... xoxo



19 comments:

Vintage Linen Treasures said...

What a great post and wonderful advice. It's no wonder that this walk puts you in a blissful mood. It's beauitful. I can't believe you're doing 5 miles a day!! That's GREAT!!
Patricia :o)

E. Charlotte said...

Excellent advice! I too enjoy my daily morning walks to work and all the wonderful things I find along the way. I'm glad you took photos of yours!

bunny, The Paris House said...

Fantastic Inspiring post Julie Marie! I am so happy you are feeling better and you told your blues to get lost.
I love your header, it is so adorable!! and your post below is wonderful too. I want to get crafting something soon.
Have a wonderful evening
xoxo
Bunny
PS, I didn't take one single picture at lunch last Tuesday with Ann Marie, we were so busy talking I forgot!! She is so sweet, such a lovely lady!

Chambray Blue said...

Wow, 5 miles a day... That is great and the pictures are beautiful! I do only one mile a day... and it does help. So glad you're feeling better, I didn't know you had surgery... Gracie sends her love and doggie kisses!

Dawn said...

Oh I agree with you, nothing better then a walk. I haven't walked for over a month and it could really account for my sluggish mood. Love the view on your walk.
I need to get myself out again.
Thanks for the reminder

Brayton Homestead Interiors said...

Julie Marie,
I know I would like to be wearing those bloomers at your party. Maybe my floor length jean skirt and my lace sweater?,Magnolia Pearl style! You are going to be fab at the party- I bet even better than me! love your post...
Karen

Sharli said...

Great post, Julie - I love your walk and I know walking is good for both body and soul. Thank you - such an uplifting post today!
Hugs!

Sandi said...

Lovely post Julie Marie! I need to walk , but just don't seem to find the time. Also, I don't really want to walk down our dirt road much either. Hubby and I do walk once in a blue moon, but need to do it more often. Thanks for taking me along on your hike! Now if only it shed some pounds for me. lol
Blessings~

Sheila Rumney said...

Love your hike! I need to take one soon (and bring the camera!).

Jeni said...

What a great message! I love your photos and I felt like I was on the walk with you. I'm happy that you are feeling like yourself again. Love that energy.

Brenda Kula said...

I love nature. What better way to enjoy it. Now I've got to get my butt out there once it cools off just a bit. Thank goodness you took your camera. Marvelous shots!
Brenda

My Grama's Soul said...

Hello sweet friend....I soooo enjoyed our walk together today...glad you are up and about and feeling better.

Xo

Jo

Alice W. said...

Early morning walks are so soothing to the mind, body and soul. I would love to take that hike with you ;) {and would also like to live beyond that garden gate...hehe!} thanks for the tour!

Alice W. said...

oh and Renoir says he wouldn't mind tagging along either...you two would have a grand old time I think ;)

Amy Arnaz said...

Julie Marie~
I Love this post. I want to live in that beautiful stone house too. It's wonderful. Probably has wooden floors and diamond pane windows too.
"Go jump in the Lake" is a well-used comment here because of our proximity to Lake Mead. However, you're right. "Go take a hike" is more positive. Thanks for taking me on a hike with you this morning. I brought my coffee along. xoxo Amy

Mari said...

HELLO SWEETIE,

WHAT AN AMAZING WALK I HAVE HAD WITH YOU!! THANKS FOR TAKING ME ALONG...LOL!! IM SOOO HAPPY YOUR STARTING TO FEEL YOUR GREAT SELF AGAIN :) AND I LOVE TO GO FOR WALKS, ITS GREAT!!!

HUGLETS~MARI

Kelly said...

Great oost & great advice! I used to love hiking, as I called it, everyone else called walking the trails because it wasn't really "hiking". But I loved it!! othing beats going for a long walk and getting lost in nature~

Rita said...

Thank you Julie Marie for letting me take a walk with you. So pretty. Have a great day, Rita mammabellarte

*Ulrike* said...

Walks are a wonderful way to get rid of the blues not to mention a good way to get rid of a few extras that have been hanging around me!!! You must have a wonderful place to walk!