Saturday, July 17, 2010

The 24th of July 1940...

The 24th of July has been called many things over the years here in the State of Utah where I live..."Days of '47", "Handcart Days", "Pioneer Days"... but in the year 1940 it was called "Covered Wagon Days"... and a pretty lady was chosen as one of the Queens to reign over the festivities... that pretty lady was my mama, Phyllis Ann Worden. She is on the right in the photo above and below... besides riding on floats in parades throughout the state, they also rode horses in all of the rodeos... I just love those cute little cowgirl outfits and cowgirl boots they have on!... My mama is gone now, passed away much too young 28 years ago, and is my guardian angel who is always close by in my heart and watches over me... I am so very proud of her... I miss you mama and love you so much!... this post is for you...

My mama on the left in the photo below...

My favorite era is the 40's... I love how feminine the ladies were and how beautifully they dressed the part... don't you love their pretty dresses, hats and open~toed high heels! Their little waists and ankles were sooo teeny! ... my mama on the right in the next photo...

I Googled Pioneer Days and here is what I found: "Pioneer Day is an official Utah State holiday celebrated in the US state of Utah, with some celebrations in regions of surrounding states originally settled by mormon pioneers. It commemorates the entry of Brigham Young and the first group of mormon pioneers into the Salt Lake Valley in July of 1947, where they settled after being forced from Nauvoo, Illinois and other locations in the eastern US." That saddened me that it only mentioned mormons, as it was originally intended to celebrate ALL Utah Pioneers. Our family is not mormon, and nowadays to be considered for royalty in the celebration, one must be a direct descendant of a mormon pioneer. But in 1940, that rule did not apply. I did some more research on Google and was happy to find this additional description: "Many Utahns also celebrate the day by remembering other pioneers such as Bishop Daniel Tuttle, who was responsible for Utah's first non~mormon schools, Rowland Hall St. Marks, and first public hospital, St. Marks in the 1800's. The Intertribal Pow~Wow in Liberty Park in Salt Lake City honors the rich cultural heritage and contributions of the areas American Indians, helping Utahns gain a deeper understanding of the regions history." This week, I will celebrate ALL of Utah's pioneers and Native Americans, just like my mama did in 1940... my mama is on the left in the photo below... the name of their float was "The Land of Liberty"...

I love you mama, and I miss you so much! ... you will always be Queen of my heart... xoxo



23 comments:

  1. WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

    What a beautiful post my sweet friend. I KNEW that was your Momma! I just knew it! She was the most beautiful of all three of the girls.

    What a JOY it was for me to read this sweet POST! I just loved it. I really did. Thank you so much for sharing with all of us.

    Now...I'm not cow-girl. I'm even a bit afraid of horses... But, I'd sure wear that little git-up you've got on in your latest photos. You look darling! Just darling. Can't wait to show Miss K!

    Love to you this day~

    xoRebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Julie Marie.....I can see why you are so proud of your mama. She is just lovely. Thanks for sharing the info about Utah as well. Right now we are in Kanabe (sp) and will be heading to Provo tomorrow.

    You have one beautiful state, friend

    Xo


    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was so much fun to read about and your Mama was so gorgeous. I love that you have all those old clippings and great memories. Take care, Kit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julie Marie,
    What a sweet post !! Your momma was beautiful, and you look just like her !! How wonderful to have these pictures and momentos .. What a different time in this country !! What JoY it must bring to your heart to be celebrating this still !! what a wonderful state you live in .. thanks for sharing such sweet remembrances with us, your bloggy friends .. Have a wonderfully, happy and blessed Sunday my friend ~
    HuGs ~TeA~ xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Julie Marie,
    Your momma is such a beauty. She has the sweetest smile and expression on her face. I can see why you are so proud of her. And yes, it is good to celebrate all of our pioneers and their bravery as they settled our wonderful nation. My ancestors were part of the "old 300" or first 300 settlers who came to Texas with Stephen F. Austin. I am very proud of this, too. Have a lovely Sunday and terrific week ahead! Love always~ Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, how I enjoyed this post!! Your momma was just BEAUTIFUL, as are you! I can see why you are so proud of her and hold the fondest memories of her. Thank you for sharing those old clippings with us... Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that era too. When girls were true ladies.

    Your Mom is stunning. Absolutely gorgeous.

    Just like you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a good memory to have of your mother. the pictures are treasures that you can add to your precious memories. have a good Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your mom was a beautiful woman, and I'm sure she would be very happy with you now. You wrote a very lovely post, and it gave us a little bit of history too. I agree, the 40's and 50's had beautiful clothing, they looked like women showing off their curves, keeping enough hidden unlike what they do these days!!
    Take Care,
    Ulrike

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Julie Marie,
    Love these old clippings...what a great story and great memories of a grand time!
    Happy day!
    xojanis

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your little mother was beautiful. And yes, look how feminine women dressed in the 40's. What a change from today. xoxo Amy

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is just wonderful! I love to read about gentler times and traditions. Oh how sweet your momma looked. I do wish we had more of those fashions and customs.
    Great post sweetie.
    So glad you received my fairy card, hope you enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Julie Marie,
    Your mama was so beautiful, both inside and out. My heart aches that you lost her so young, but I am comforted that she remains your angel constantly by your side guiding you. The pictures are wonderful and how great to celebrate and honor all the great pioneers of our beautiful country.
    Love and kisses
    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a beautiful tribute to your Mom... I can tell by the softness of hand as you write this tale that the love is deep and everlasting.
    Thank you so much for dropping by for a visit and sharing this wonderful story.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Julie Marie,
    We celebrate pioneer days here in my teeny town too. Parade and all. Rodeas and picnics and the whole shebang!
    Your mother made a beautiful cowgirl, and I so agree that they knew how to be ladies in those days.
    I just smuck around in my garden clothes lately, but pictures I have of my mother gardening in her pretty dresses and tousers makes me think I could dress up a little better.
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Julie Marie,
    Great post on the 24th of July. It's important to remember all the different cultures that make Utah their home!

    Your mama sure was a beauty! And those cowgirl outfits...just adorable!

    Hope you have a happy 24th Holiday!

    Kelly
    Second Hand Chicks

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a sweet post Julie Marie. Your mama was gorgeous...The 40's is one of my favorite eras too. Thank you so much for sharing. Have a wonderful new week my dear friend.

    Hugs and Kisses,
    ♥Ana

    ReplyDelete
  18. Me again...Just saw the picture of you in your cowboy boots on your side bar...You are just the cutest. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Julie,
    Oh I just love this post and all the information about this special time in Utah.
    Your momma is just gorgeous and I would know her after seeing you in pictures.
    I love that you have in such great condition, the news paper pics. I know they are near and dear to you.
    Love the outfits too and yes, I just love the 40's as well. The way they dressed and the shoes, hair styles, just everything.

    You sure are beautiful in your white dress and boots. Just like your momma. I know she is also very proud of you and this tribute to her is very special.

    Thank you for sharing this history.
    Loved it and love you,
    Celestina Marie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I forgot to say, I love the barn pic you have for your header. Just awesome!!
    XO Celestina Marie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just had to tell you again how much I LOVE this post!

    Truly from the heart!

    SNIFF!

    xoRebecca

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Julie Marie I just wanted to stop by and say hi and tell you how much your comments mean to me. I love reading them. I have been so blessed to meet some lovely lovely women through blogging that I consider my friends, you being one of them. I adore you and your blog..and the picture of you and your header picture are both beautiful!!
    xoxo
    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Julie Marie...it has been a while since I have popped over here...I still follow you..I am sure you are on my list...off to check it out..I have not removed anyone as I am not sure how...I follow soooooo many blogs it is crazy..I am sure my computer will blow up one day from all the stuff I have in it...off to check right NOW!!!! Happy Hugs today. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete