Monday, June 28, 2010

A Red, Red Rose...

"O my Luve's like a red, red rose
That's newly sprung in June;
O my Luve's like the melodie
That's sweetly played in tune" ~Robert Burns

Red roses and love... they just go together... Jack and I recently celebrated our 33rd Anniversary... one of the first things he bought for me for our very first home together so very long ago was a gardenful of climbing Chrysler Imperial red roses to plant... I knew our love would last forever... those red roses promised me that as they flourished in that very first garden of ours... we moved from that home to the little farm I posted about... and my beautiful red roses were left behind... perhaps that is why I am soo drawn to the little old abandoned building I have posted about so often... I chatted with my sweet friend Rebecca at A Gathering of Thoughts one day recently about that little building and the beautiful roses... she agreed there is something wonderful about my little forgotten place in time... I ran an idea past her and she thought it was perfect!... so that afternoon, I drove once more to my little enchanted spot and took a number of clippings from the graceful roses, now in full bloom, as you see in the photo I took just that day a week or so ago...

I placed three of the cuttings right in my cottage garden, under vintage fruit jars, just like my mama started her rose garden so many years ago from cuttings from my grandmother's garden... I also started five cuttings inside in little pots... today, several of the cuttings have the teeniest of new growth on them... I look at them wistfully... hoping they will flourish, as Jack and I have since those first red roses 33 years ago... I will always love you Jack... and I will always love beautiful red roses... xoxo





4 comments:

rose said...

love your story. we also transplanted roses, but after time they died love your photo.

NanaNay said...

I hope your roses take root and bloom.

What a lovely story.

Rebecca said...

Dear Sweet JM....

This is the most romantic thing ever. I am hoping and trusting along with you that those red, red roses will root and grow strong and bloom one day for the whole world to enjoy.

I've never been good at growing roses. :( Then...just before my girl married in 9/07 she bought me a lovely pink rosebush and I planted it in memory of her years of living her at my La Chaumiere de Briarwood. I prayed sincerely I wouldn't kill it. Here it is almost 3 years later and the lovely little bush is now large enough to need a trellis. I can't believe it. I'm so happy. Whenever it blooms I think of my beautiful girl and the lovely years she lived here with me and her daddy.

Promise me that once your cuttings begin to flourish you will take another cutting from it for me. I would so love to experience the fragrance of the original vine...

Now...that said...a little package was sent to you today. From me and my Miss K.

Love to you~Rebecca

Sandy~Romantique Inspirations~ said...

Happy Anniversary Julie Marie, 33 years and still going strong... that is terrific! Wishing you all the best on your special day.

Hugs*