Sunday, May 23, 2010

Sunday Brunch Guest...

Today we had the most special guest for Sunday brunch... this beautiful male Western Bluebird! I know we have Bluebirds here, but it has been a long time since I have seen any... what a cheerful sight today to look out at one of our trees that holds birdfeeders and see this precious little guy! ...


Our Bluebirds out West are different than their Eastern Bluebird cousins... but every bit as spectacular! Our yard is a "Certified Wildlife Habitat" through the National Wildlife Federation, so I have all kinds of different seeds and such out for the birds, but decided to run to Lowe's and buy something "extra special" for our guest... I bought the premium Fruit and Nut mix as Bluebirds LOVE fruit... and I didn't know if they would like the "raisin and cherry" mix I had out... soon, his beautiful mate came as well... she is much lighter blue on top and I was not able to get a photo of her before they flew off together... I can't wait for them to return... I want Baby Bluebirds! ... If you would like to certify your yard as a Wildlife Habitat, please visit the National Wildlife Federation... your property must provide the four basic habitat elements needed for wildlife to thrive: food, water, cover and places to raise young... I enjoy this so much, and I think you will too! ...xoxo




4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful bluebird, Julie! And how wonderful that your yard is a certified habitat--that's fabulous! I'll bet there's never a dull moment!

    Hope you're having a wonderful weekend!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! He is really blue! And such a beautiful shade. When I was in Georgia I saw cardinals. We don't have those here. Or if we do, they don't like my yard. I hope the pair return soon and you are able to get a shot of both male and female, together.

    Love and hugs,
    Tamerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely he is! I am sure he'll return soon as you have the best "restaurant" in town!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a GORGEOUS bird! You're lucky to live in a place where you can walk outside and see so many gorgeous creatures!

    ReplyDelete