Monday, March 29, 2010

Beginning a beautiful new week...

Today is the beginning of another beautiful week... these are my pretty geraniums I brought in from my garden last fall and placed in my breakfast nook window... together, we survived the harsh winter months, safe... and warm and cozy... but now ready to start spending alot more time out of doors... today I will place my pots of geraniums on my porch to begin hardening them off... letting the warm Spring sunshine soak into their soil and the fresh Spring air renew them... they are anxious to go back out in the garden to bloom... just like me...


I loved nurturing them indoors during these cold winter months... they put on a spectacular show for us... their gorgeous green leaves pulling towards the sunshine...


Just looking at their delicate pastel petals makes me happy... over the weekend I read another book by Naomi Judd that my dear friend Celeste told me about... I read all of Naomi Judd's books, they are so inspirational, but somehow I had missed this one... so I ordered it right away and couldn't put it down once I started it... I love reading true stories by inspiring women like Naomi, who have beat the odds and are living the life they always dreamed of...


She lists eight specific characteristics that make for a happy life... that help you survive all difficulties, whether they are emotional, physical or circumstantial...



These things are 1. Strong Spiritual Belief, 2. Strong Support System, 3. Sense of Humor, 4. Connection to Nature, 5. Goals, 6. Good Nutrition, 7. Regular Exercise and Rest, 8. Openness to New Experiences... I was happy to see so many of the things I already do... my spiritual beliefs are strong... my family is the best support system anyone could have (thank you my dear family, I love you!)... I always keep my sense of humor... Nature plays a major role in my life, we never miss our daily Nature walk... I have many goals, and work hard to achieve each one of them... I make sure we eat extremely healthy and buy organic whenever I can... Jack and I walk two and one half to three miles each day and I get alot of exercise working in my gardens... I like to keep busy all the time, so I do need to work at getting a little more rest... and I sometimes am leery about trying out new experiences... so there is still room for improvement for me...


But life is beautiful and to be enjoyed... one day at a time... Naomi starts out each morning with solitude and self~assurance... I posted awhile back about beginning each of my days in silent solitude, letting my thoughts wander where they may, clearing my mind... here is how she describes solitude... "... the absence of human activity. Solitude is refreshment for your soul that allows time for the small voice of your inner knowing to be heard." Like my pretty little geraniums, I don't want to just survive... I want to thrive! ... I hope you too will take time to start your day in quiet solitude and listen to your inner self... wishing you a blissful day... xoxo




18 comments:

Kelly Ballard said...

Hi Julie Marie,
It's so true....Life is beautiful and every day is a blessing.

Wishing you a lovely day!

Kelly
Second Hand Chicks

Sylvia said...

My favorite is a walk through the garden in the early morning hours...its very peaceful. Beautiful geraniums...

Sylvia

Marsha (Sassy Mini Dolls) said...

This is the day the Lord has made and what a beautiful day it is!

Love and hugs,
Marsha

Jeni said...

Those flowers are gorgeous! Love the soft pink palette. You are a good indoor gardener. Beautiful work.

Hope to see you soon.

p.s. They have a cute bird line of products at Hobby Lobby that made me think of you.

vintage frenchhen said...

Thank you for the post! It's a nice way to start the week off with a gentle reminder. I also love the pink color of your geraniums! marcia

Blondie's Journal said...

What a sweet post. This book surely sounds inspirational! It's good to hear that you already follow so many of the steps. But I, like you, need a bit more rest and could get a little more excited about new experiences. I am a worrier!

I was able to winter over some red geraniums, too. It was the first time I did that and it really gave me a lot of pleasure. My hibiscus at the lake has also made it through the winter. Now I just wish it were warm enough to go out and get my hands dirty!!

xoxo
Jane

Zuzu said...

Your geraniums are GORGEOUS, Julie Marie. Such a sweet, soft pink!

And I couldn't agree more with Naomi - very good advice, and like you, I enjoy following these characteristics as well! :)

Have a wonderful Monday!
Zuzu

Roberta said...

Good Day Julie, Such encouraging words in this post. Thanks for the reminder to spend time in solitude listing for that small still voice! Priceless. Your geraniums are lovely. xo

Bunny Rose Cottage said...

My heart skipped a beat when I saw these gorgeous flowers Julie! You definitely nurtured them well, they look amazing!! Arent you excited that spring is here?? It will be another month or so until things get pretty here, but at least I know it is on the way!!
Love you sweetie!
Amy

My Grama's Soul said...

Good morning Julie Marie......very inspirational post. We all can use a little inspiration from time to time.

Thank-you,
Jo

Karyn Bernard (French Charming) said...

Hi Julie,

Your geraniums are lovely, the color is gorgeous.

Loved reading the eight specific characteristics that make for a happy life, very wise advice.

Hugs,
Karyn

Shabbyfufu said...

Hi sweet Julie. I had no idea that geraniums came in pink! I guess that's because it's too far south here to get them to last...so it's something I don't have the pleasure of enjoying in my garden. Lovely inspiration here....xo, Janet

Sandy~Romantique Inspirations~ said...

Nothing like being outside enjoying the beautiful weather doing the things we love to do..... your geraniums are lovely Julie Marie, the color is awesome! We are suppose to be getting some great weather towards the end of the week.... I'll be doing a lot of painting projects and digging in the dirt.... Yahoo

Hugs*

Vicki said...

Hi, Julie Marie,
I have never read anything by Naomi Judd so I am going to have to find her books. I have always admired her though. Thank you for sharing with us about her and her advice. I have always loved life and try to enjoy each day to the fullest. I hope you continue to have a beautiful week, dear friend! Easter blessings to you! Vicki

Reflections from the Stone Nest said...

Oh,that is a lovely post! I love seeing your beautiful pink geraniums in bloom, and I loved hearing about the book you have read. Very good advice, indeed. I do wish I had just a bit more time in the morning to begin the day quietly. Like you say, room for improvement... :)

Easter blessings
Kitty

bunny, The Paris House said...

Hi Julie Marie, Your geraniums are beautiful. I love how they thrive in your breakfast nook with your love and care all winter long. Now they are getting ready for the warmth and sun of the outdoors. I like everything you wrote in your post. I try to slow down and savor the moment. The one thing I need to work on is sleep, I get very little. I'm going to take the rest of the week off until Monday, spending every minute with family, friends and my beloved pets. I love Easter week so much it is such a beautiful time.
Happy Easter
xoxo
Bunny

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Julie Marie,
Your geraniums are gorgeous and will be beautiful all through the season. You took such good care of them all winter and now they are thanking you with pretty blooms.

So glad you enjoyed Naomi's book too. I found it very inspiring. Thank you for sharing.
Best wishes for a wonderful Easter and a very Happy Spring.
Love to you,
Celestina Marie

p.s. comment moderation is not working for everyone. I can't moderate the comments for my post except for 2. Yours and one other. Just some FYI. Blogger is trying to fix the problem. XO

Ana said...

Good morning Julie Marie,
What a wonderful post...I've been soooo busy lately I haven't had time to slow down and enjoy some quiet time...I know how important it is to take some time to reflect, pray and just be still! Thanks for the reminder my dear friend. Have a wonderful rest of the week.

Hugs and Kisses,
♥Ana