Thursday, January 21, 2010

More hidden tresors...

Well, that was soo much fun playing Barbies in my last post!... we need to do it again soon!... meanwhile, I wanted to show you some more of my "hidden treasures" I uncovered, right here in my own basement closets!... I save everything, so it was exciting to re~discover more of my treasures from the past...

The above photo shows a group of my old Victoria magazines that were hidden away from the others... I have almost the entire collection of old (and new) Victorias, beginning with their Premier issue back in the Spring of 1987... I even remember the day I bought it, it looked like the loveliest magazine I had ever seen... and it was! That is the Premier issue in the bottom right hand corner... then several years ago, I found another copy of it at a thrift shop... (to the left of it)... I am only missing a few in the entire set, and hope to find those soon... the photos are sooo beautiful and as I re~read each article, I remembered them from the first time I read and loved them... it is still my very favorite magazine!... sooo dreamy and romantic... As I kept unpacking carefully wrapped up items, I came across my silver sugar and creamer set... so pretty...

My next "hidden treasure" brought tears to my eyes... this old box camera was my grandpas, then my daddy's, then mine... all of the old black and white photos I have that I took as a little girl, I took with this old box camera... I will put it out on top of my desk, alongside my great~grandpa's gold pocket watch...

I knew I had these little porcelain elves, bought many years ago at J&L Garden Center, which I talked about in a previous post... don't you just hate it when you can't find something... but ahh... when you do find your lost treasures again, it is sooo exciting!...

One of my very favorite treasures is this little set of Lefton Bluebirds cream and sugar... how can you not smile when you look at these precious little birdies...

I've posted before about how sometimes I do feel like I am ten years old again (like playing Barbie!)... well, besides Barbie, I loved to read (still do!)... my favorite books growing up were the Trixie Belden series... I usually got some for Christmas or my birthday and immediately devoured every word... I WAS Trixie Belden... searching for clues in the orchards that surrounded our house I grew up in, solving mysteries... even though I loved girlie things too, I was a tomboy, like Trixie Belden, and loved being outdoors... even my little rural town of Bountiful had many similarities to the little town Trixie and her friends lived in... oooh, for that simple life once more... I have the complete set of these precious books...

And now that I have found them again... I will re~read them and who knows... maybe I will become Trixie Belden once more!... tee hee hee...

Another favorite of mine was Nancy Drew... here are a few from my collection... my sister Jill liked Nancy Drew too, and between the two of us we undoubtedly have the entire series of originals... The Ghost in the Gallery was my all time favorite!...


Well, time to get back to sorting my finds... do you stash things away like I do and then don't remember where they are?... I would love to hear about your "hidden treasures" and the precious memories that go with them... xoxo





23 comments:

  1. Ohh I love everything Julie!! Those bluebirds are so cute, I have been wanting those!! I LOVE the pixies with the bunnies too :) I used to read Trixie Beldon books in fifth grade, I love them, how great to have a whole set!!! I would be re-reading them for sure. I have always wanted to be either a detective or something in forensics. What can be better than shopping in your own basement?
    Love ya sweetie,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I JUST today found my mom's old camera and it looks SO much like yours. It is also a black box camera.
    I've put it in my curio cabinet now and will enjoy looking at it for a long time.

    LOVE my few Victoria magazines, so pretty indeed ♥

    Hugs,,,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't have Trixie Beldon books but do you remember the Happy Hollisters? I always loved books in a series, as I had to keep on reading. Always sad when I finished a book. Yes, I have been looking for a box of silver to show for Sunday, but can't find it. I guess it is time to really clean the attic. Thanks for your kind comment. I did change my title. You don't have to do anything. When you click on my picture, it shows the new name and brings yu right to my site. Thank you for your support.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Julie, you truly do have some wonderful tresors!!!

    The little Lefton Bluebirds cream and sugar are darling!!

    I too had the entire collection of Nancy Drew Books! Every Christmas my Aunt Nena would give me a couple! Then I "graduated" to Victoria Holt and Phyllis Whitney :)

    Have a wonderful day!!

    ((Hugs))
    Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Julie Marie, What a collection of Victoria magazines. I have had them all, but have not kept them all. I do remember the very first copy though. I thought it had to be the most beautiful mag. ever. I even bought one for my friend and surprised her with it before she left to fly to Seattle. I do love that mag...julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Julie Marie,
    Man, what treasures you have un-covered. I loved both those book series as well!
    Happy day.
    xojanis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Julie marie,

    I always loved that magazine. I guess they don't publish it anymore. I imagine it's hard for magazines to compete with all the other media that's out there right now, including blogs.

    Kelly
    Second Hand Chicks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness! I hope you're heavily insured, if not I know a good insurance agent...tee hee!

    What amazing treasures you have and I too love Victoria magazine how wonderful that you have nearly every issue.

    Your books are wonderful and I was such a huge Nancy Drew fan, your photo brought back found memories as I remember many of these covers.

    The camera is so special and how wonderful to have the one that captured so many moments in time for you.

    Have a wonderful day Julie...get some rest, you must me tuckered out after all your treasure hunting!

    Love and hugs,
    Karyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Julie Marie,
    WoW !! How fun for you, uncovering hidden, forgotten treasures !! LoVe it all !! I'm such a collector too .. I have plenty of those sweet bluebirds, the sweetest faces EvEr !! My old Victoria magazines, still keep me so excited !! how could we EvEr trash these !! You enjoy digging through your hidden treasures sweetie, and thanks for sharing your finds with us .. Have a happy day sweet one ~
    hugs ~tea~xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, Julie Marie,
    You have found some more wonderful treasures!! I have always loved Victoria Magazine. I just finished reading their latest one this morning with my coffee. I adore that bluebird creamer and sugar, so, so sweet. I read every Trixie Belden book I could find! They were my very favorites. I know you must have had such a great time with that vintage camera passed down from generation to generation. Thank you for another terrific stroll down memory lane! Much love to you! Vicki p.s. loved your little pixie elves, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Julie Marie!
    I can't believe you loved Nancy Drew ~ me too! I have the entire original set too and always hoped Haley would one day read them, but she wasn't interested in them. I told her recently that I was going to sell the entire set on eBay and she asked me not to. So they are here, and I love them altho I can't remember what my favorite story was. I had a crush on Ned Nickerson. Be good! Amy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Julie Marie!
    Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words. It means the world to me.
    That is one fabulous basement you have full of treasures! I have so enjoyed reading about your discoveries!
    Love,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Julie Marie,
    I have so missed visiting you!!
    Your blog looks so lovely...all of your fairies really make me smile!
    All of these treasures you have uncovered bring back so many memories for me! I also have most of my Victoria magazines from many years ago and refer to them often. Your books are in excellent condition and Trixie Beldon was a favorite of mine! The camera is so special and the silver set...my gosh!!! The barbies have been saved with love and you can see that you must have enjoyed your childhood with your sister!!
    Your nature photos are beautiful and all of your most recent posts really make me smile. I hope to be able to visit more often...I have missed so much!
    Enjoy the rest of your evening!
    Big Hugs xOxO Nerina

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhhhh... I loved your posting. Victoria magazine.... I swoon at those old issues. And like you, I remember the day I bought that first beautiful copy. Fortunately I do have every issue and even found seconds in some. They're the best treasure.

    And Trixie Beldon... and Nancy Drew.... oh my.... kindred spirits?

    Haven't been blogging as much lately, because of other things on the go. But today I've been treating myself to visiting all my friends and what a treat it's been.

    Thanks for a lovely visit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wowww... I'm really in love with your collection of Victoria magazine. Oh lucky you are, Julie Marie!

    I never read the stories of the books your are talking about... but I saw them on eBay. The pictures look so nice.

    My grand-mother had the same «salt and paper birds» than yours. It's now the heritage of my mother.

    Have a nice day!

    Anne
    Québec City

    Psitt: Sorry for my bad english... I'm French, you know. And I never speak in English all year around except during my english lessons. I read your blog for the practice. Thanks!;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I knew that you would know. I absolutely was positive! I remember that I paid under a dollar for my little cuties. I am drawn to figurines with musical themes, given all the music at my house. A merci to you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love old magazines ans old books ... I've got hundreds of them ... ;o)
    Your Barbies are a real treasures too !
    Have a good day !

    Hélène

    ReplyDelete
  18. My goodness! What treasures you have unearthed! I was taught to give my things away as I outgrew them, so all I have now are the memories.
    I remember the first time I saw Victoria magazine too. I couldn't believe how beautiful it was! The original Victoria magazine has been my all-time favorite magazine. How wonderful that you can enjoy them again! :)

    I hope you have a lovely weekend!
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well Julie Marie,
    I guess you know by now that I do stash things away and forget about them....But thanks to you I remembered my little hidden treasure. Thank you. Love, love, love, all your treasures. Unpacking them must be like opening presents at Christmas....So much fun...Have a wonderful weekend my friend.

    Hugs and Kisses,
    ♥Ana

    ReplyDelete
  20. You're really bringing back the memories, Julie. I loved Nancy Drew and had all the books, also I had the starting issue of Victoria and every one after that. When we moved in 2003, my husband complained so much I threw them all away just to stop his griping. I could kick myself. I only saved a few. boo hoo. Isn't it wonderful to find all those treasures?
    hugs,
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  21. Julie Marie how wonderful to have such treasures in your very own basement. I too adore Victoria Magazine, I was devastated when it closed down several years ago and thrilled when it came back out. I also save all my Victoria magazines, Barbies, Nancy Drew books and anything ever given to me by my grandparents. Isn't it so much fun to re-read old Nancy Drew books, I feel like a young detective with the my entire life ahead of me...its so exciting.
    thanks for sharing all of your lovely treasures and memories.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Julie Marie! What treasures you have found! I still have a lot of Victoria magazines too. The bluebirds are so cute, who would not love them? I remember reading some Nancy Drew books, but I still have a lot of Donna Parker. Did you ever read her? What memories!
    Take Care!
    Ulrike

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for taking us back in time with your lovely treasures Julie. The camera is very special and deserves a place of honor on your desk with grandpa's watch. Please take a pic of that for us! xo

    ReplyDelete