Saturday, December 26, 2009

Our Christmas Day Dinner Guests...

Christmas Day didn't go quite as planned for us this year... I have been sick all this week, (and still am) with a nasty cold~flu bug... I was unable to go to my sister's house on Christmas Day as, besides not feeling well, there was no way I wanted any of them to get sick... we will celebrate our Christmas together when I am feeling better... I missed seeing them all so much!... Jack has been taking care of me and doing everything... he makes sure all of the bird feeders are full... We had a number of guests for Christmas dinner... let me introduce you to some of them... (as it was -1 degree here on Christmas Day, I took all of these photographs through our windows, not going outside in that!)... first off, this pretty little Robin enjoying her Christmas dinner... with our beautiful snow~covered mountains in the background... our little rural town of Centerville is a narrow little stretch of land that lies nestled between the Great Salt Lake on the west and the beautiful Wasatch Mountains to the east... we are so fortunate to have so many species of birds here... some year round... some only for the winter... watching them enjoy their Christmas with us just made my day...



A beautiful Cedar Waxwing, trying to decide on a berry...


YUM!... this one looks good!... Waxwings often pass a berry back and forth along a row of birds before one bird finally eats it... silly birds!...



I adore our beautiful Quail...



This little Black~capped Chickadee is a frequent visitor at the suet feeder... I love to watch her hang upside down to eat sometimes!...




Mourning Doves are ground~feeding birds, but this pretty one wanted to see if she was missing anything in my flowering pear tree...




Another favorite winter visitor of ours is the Dark~eyed Junco... they are the first to arrive to eat in the morning and the last to leave the feeders at night...



My beautiful little male Wild Canary... did you know many birds actually scout out their Spring nesting site in the cold of Winter... my birdhouses are up "For Rent" year round...



I love these gorgeous iridescent European Starlings... we rescued one of these precious beauties and after she was rehabilitated we released her at the Ogden Nature Center back into the protected wild... (click here to read about Stella, our little Starling)...



This beautiful daddy House Finch adds so much color to the yard...



A little mama Wild Canary waiting her turn at the feeder...



Another favorite (aren't they all???)... my little Pine Siskin... don't you just love her little "punk hairdo"...



I absolutely ADORE this little female Downy Woodpecker... look how soft her tummy looks... no wonder she is called "Downy Woodpecker"...




I hope you've enjoyed meeting some of our little dinner guests... As always, I am constantly amazed at the beauty of Nature... I want to wish everyone a Happy New Year as well at this time... See you soon!... Bisous...








21 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

Julie Marie~~~

I am so sorry to hear that you are sick and I hope you are getting better with each day. I am sure you will enjoy a wonderful Christmas with your sister once you are on the up.

I so enjoyed seeing your little feathered friend and once again I am amazed at your love of all things great and small. I admire that you know the names of all these birds. My neighbor at the lake is quite good at identifying birds as well. I so enjoyed this post. Get well soon! :-)

xoxo
Jane

Betzie said...

Hi Julie Marie,
I found you at Celestina's blog. I LOVE your bird photos!!!!!!!!! They are so gorgeous...I am a BIG bird lover!!! Hope you are feeling better!!! Nice meeting you...and Happy New Year! Betzie

Marydon Ford said...

Oh, sweetie, it has been so good talking with you but you still sound really sick! Wish I were there to help you get better ... tell Jack to give you a BIG HUG for me!

You know that I love my birds ... but you have so many beauties that we do not get here, durnnit!, so I am TRULY enjoying these pics.

Will call you in a day or so again ... hugs of love, TTFN ~Marydon

Lynn said...

Julie, So sorry you are still not feeling well. My younger daughter has the flu too so she and her family were not at her sister's with us on Christmas Eve. Don't think the flu cares about Christmas! I love you photos!!!! You have taken awesome photos from inside. They are so good they should be in a nature coffee table book. Thank you for sharing them and please get well soon.
Hugs,Lynn

Marsha (Sassy Mini Dolls) said...

Such beautiful photos, Julie!

I am sorry you are sick. Please take care of yourself.

((Hugs))

Leslie said...

Julie Marie, "so sorry to hear you have caught a bug, maybe you should let it go!" That is actually on a card I made today. So fitting for your sniffles. Love, love, love the photos of your birds. I have two parrotlets, Stormy & Starlight, but they stay in their cage. My husband said around 4:30 this morning they made a racket that woke him up. I am such a sound sleeper at times I never heard them.

Sherrie said...

I am impressed with your knowledge of birds, and sorry to hear sickness interfered with Christmas, but this too shall pass. Hope that you feel better.

Vicki said...

Hello, Julie Marie,
I am so sorry you are ill, but you certainly had some beautiful guests for Christmas dinner. I am amazed at what a variety of birds you have there and how you know all their names! I watch two cardinals and two blue jays come to my feeder each day. There is another little bird that comes, and I don't know the name of it. I am going to do some research on the computer to see if I can find out what species it is. I am wishing the happiest of New Years in 2010 for you, Jack and all of your family. Your friendship this year has been a true gift to me. Much love! Vicki

Amy Arnaz said...

Gosh Julie Marie!
Your bird selection is remarkable. Way down here in Southern Nevada we have sparrows, pigeons, doves, sparrows, pigeons, doves and crows! Sorry you don't feel good but you still take good photos. Hope you feel chirpy soon! Lots of love, Amy

Kelly Ballard said...

Hi Julie Marie,
So sorry to hear you have been sick. My Poopsie has been sick all weekend, too. I enjoyed your bird photos. We get lots of the same birds in our back yard here, too. It's fun to watch them feed outside the window. The kittys like to watch them, too!
Hope you feel better soon

Kelly
Second Hand Chicks

Jeni said...

I am sending lots of well wishes your way. Hope you're feeling better soon.

I can't believe what beautiful birds you photographed. Stunning. Really stunning. You need to write a book on birds.

Six in One Hand said...

Sorry that you are sick...that sucks anytime, but especially at Christmas..

WOW!!!
You have quail...I mean "real" live quail in your yard!!!!
I've never seen that here ...sigh.

I hope you had a Merry Christmas
and Happy New Year!!!

julie said...

Hi Julie Marie, I am so sorry you had to spend Christmas in bed.
Your pics of your dinner guests are fabulous. I didn't know there were wild canarys. We have doves, finch, robins, cardinals, hummingbirds and many more, but not like yours. They are all so sweet.
Thanks for stopping by and feel better soon...julie

Joan@anythinggoeshere said...

Sorry you weren't feeling well on Christmas! What wonderful bird pictures. My mom knew all of their names also.. I don't.

To answer your question about thrift shopping. I didn't find a thing! That is the way it is sometimes, but looking was fun.

My Grama's Soul said...

Oh Julie Marie - I'm so very sorry you have been ill this holiday season,

How sweet of you to take all of these beautiful bird pictures, tho. You are am amazing "birder".

Get well soon!

Hugs,

Jo

texasdaisey said...

I love the birds. You got some great captures. Hope you get well soon.
Debbie

Cola's Cottage said...

Hello Marie ~ I am so sorry to hear you have been sick. I had some kind of bug before Christmas but luckily was better before.

I loved the pictures of your birdie friends. I love birds too. I have a couple that come back every year around my studio. One day when we build our house I hope to have bird feeders to see and enjoy. I love watching the humming birds, they love my flowers. One time one flew into my studio and I had to gently persuade it out of a window. I was so afraid it would have a heart attack.

I hope you have a nice time at your sisters once you are able to go : )

Hugs ~ Nichole

tales from an oc cottage said...

Oh how cool! I have never even seen a real quail!


m ^..^

June said...

i do love the company you keep sweetie. These are beautiful pics of some beautiful guests. I'm so sorry you've been sick...I didn't know. I do hope you are feeling better.
hugs, hugs, and more hugs.

Jonny said...

Hi Julie Marie, finaly got a chance to visit- I love your photographs. The one picture with the dark~eyed Junco looks like it would make a perfect beautiful Christmas card, Thank You for sharing. My best wishes,Jonny

Duchess of Tea said...

J M darling, I thank you for your love and support this past year when I needed it most. Your kindness has left me feeling blessed. You have made my first year of blogging a memorable one!! I am certain that 2010 will be an amazing year for us both. Enjoy the last day of the year and have a marvelous 2010 full of good health, happiness, prosperity, love and blessings.

Love & Hugs
Duchess