Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Yard Sale I Almost Didn't Go To...


Have you ever been on your way somewhere and seen a sign pointing to a yard sale, and wondered whether to try it or not? That is exactly what I did last week... I was on my way to the grocery store when I saw a sign pointing up the hill that read "Yard Sale, Everything is Cheap!"... I kept on driving, then something (or someone?) told me to turn around and go back... I drove up the steep hill, following the signs... soon I was in a very expensive part of town, and assumed it would be at a new house... it has been my experience that those types of sales usually don't have the older things I am looking for... At the top of the hill, nestled among the newer houses was an older home from the 50's... I stopped the car and started looking around... Ok, I thought, I am dreaming that I am at this yard sale, this isn't really happening... very few people were there even though the sale started an hour and a half earlier... Apparently the owner had passed away in August (at age 90 something) and his family was selling everything he had packed away for the last fifty years! I picked up a piece of Roseville, hardly daring to ask how much... then a piece of Red Wing pottery, then an old Roy Rogers and Dale Evans lunchbox from 1957... it can't be... this is my "dream" yard sale!.. Next I found what appeared to be a WWII ammo box... I bought that for a friend of mine and Jack's who belongs to a WWII collectors club... 25 cents... our friend was thrilled with it, and turns out it is from World War One!... The family members were super nice and said they just could not keep everything... so what did not sell would be thrown away... GASP!... With the help of their darling little 7 year old boy, I loaded up my SUV until it would hold no more... My total: $13.00! for everything! The little boy was sooo cute, I gave him a $5.00 tip for helping me load it all, (which his mother was so sweet about and thanked me over and over)... I can't possible list all the things I got, but here is a picture of two of my favorites... 25 cents each...

These are handpainted plates from Bavaria, which I am sure you all know, are getting harder and harder to come by... the big one is 9 inches and the smaller one is a little over 7 inches... both in mint condition! Look how they match my quilt that sits on my windowseat in my bedroom... I plan on hanging these beautiful plates in the bedroom, by my gorgeous rose painting my dear friend Jo~Anne Coletti did for me... So, I am so happy I listened to that little voice that told me to turn around and go back... sometimes hidden treasures are where you least expect them!... Bisous...




14 comments:

Karyn Bernard (French Charming) said...

Wowza Julie that was the jackpot of yard sales! How wonderful that you decided to go and got a suv-load of wonderful goodies for a whopping $13.00! Wonderful things happen to wonderful people!

Sorry I've been a little scarce, I have a terrible cold and have been in bed since Friday. Finally feeling a bit better. I wanted to thank you for your sweet emails and friendship...I adore you sweet friend!

Hugs and much love,
Karyn

Bunny, The Paris House said...

Bonsoir Julie Marie,
The dishes are so pretty and look great with your quilt. I'm so happy you turned around and went to that sale!! Next time I pass by something I'll think of you and your treasures, and I'll turn around because you never know what you might find.
Hope you are having a nice Sunday
xx
Bunny

Tanza said...

Hi Julie,
Aren't you glad you listened to that sweet inner voice !! I do this all the time, and woops, we stop, and beautiful treasures are to be found !! You scored big time girlie !! Gorgeous rose plates .. Nothin' better than a wonderful yard sale !! yippee for you ~ Have a wonderful, happy week !!
hugs ~tea~xo

Dawn said...

Oh how spectacular! I just love finding little spots like that. I always am thrilled to know I am getting these treasures and feel like I am respecting the original owner by appreciating their items and using and displaying them. How beautiful those plates are sweetie.

Cindy-Stitches-N-Stuff said...

That sounds great Julie. Your right, the plates are so perfect. Why is it I never get in on those kinds of deals. Oh Well! Glad you did.

cindy@stitches

June said...

I got so excited reading this. When I first started to read and you said that you had a feeling that you should turn around and go, I was thinking...go, go, go.
I get so excited hearing about other's treasure hunts. Your's was the motherlode. I'm so happy that you got all that great 'stuff'. And true to sweet Julie Marie form, you made a little boy's day in the process. Yay for you!!!
Hugs,
June

T's Daily Treasures said...

So fortunate that you listened to that little whisper that said turn around! Great and wonderful treasures! Have a fantastic week. Peace & blessings, :) Tammy

Tammy/Yesterday's Cottage said...

So glad I found your blog - it's gorgeous! I LOVE your plates - what an amazing find! I'll take anything Bavarian with roses I can get my hands on! Always always always listen to that inner voice!
Have a great week!
Tammy

CC said...

Those are lovely! :)

Xx

Ana said...

Pssst, Julie Marie,
I have a little surprise for you. Come over and see what it is....I'll be waiting for you.

Tons of love,
♥Ana

Vicki said...

Julie Marie, that was your guardian angel telling you to turn around and go back! I am so glad you did, too! You know I am drooling over those rose plates!! And a Roy Rogers lunch box, wahoo!! Congratulations on your great finds, sweet friend! Vicki

Anna Jackson said...

I agree...wonderful things happen to wonderful people!!! The man who passed away probably nudged you to go... so that a beautiful French woman could share in his treasures that meant so much to him! uh....those plates are amazing!!!!!! I used to own a boutique called Dusty Rose in Half Moon Bay California and everything was vintage roses from hats to paintings,,,you would have been my best customer!!! Lots of Aloha Anna..

Tutti Chic said...

LOL~As I'm writing this I'm looking to your sidebar & noticing Lucy as queen of the gypsies! One of my very favortie episodes & just what I needed to see after such a sad day here in my hometown. Put a smile on my face for sure! Thanks for leaving such a sweet comment & visiting today. I'm SO glad you decided to go to that awesome yard sale! :)

Roberta said...

Whoa! The mother lode of yard sales. So glad you listened to that little voice Julie. I'm sure that old man is happy that his ammo box is in good hands! Your plates are so very pretty. Thanks for your kind words my Friend.
xo Roberta