Saturday, July 25, 2009

Summer's Bounty...

Besides the Farmers Market I posted about last week, I love going to the Bangerter Farm early on Saturday mornings, a family owned farm up the road a piece that sells wonderful vegetables and fruit from now 'till Fall. They had all the ingredients I needed for my favorite zucchini~tomato side dish, except for tomatoes... next week they will have those... I brought my little stash of veggies home, dreading using the "blah" store bought tomatoes, when my sweet neighbor Keith and his little doggie Pita, (the precious Pomeranian in my last post about dog days) came to my door with a bagful of his homegrown beauties. So I whipped up two casserole dishes, one for Jack and me and one for my generous neighbor and his wife, a "thank~you" for bringing me these juicy treasures that make my mouth water... Here is the recipe, turns out every time and is really yummy!!!

1 Zucchini and 1 crookneck (summer) squash
2 (or more) medium tomatoes
1 medium green pepper chopped
1 cup chopped onion (I use Bermuda for this)
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper

Wash and slice zucchini and summer squash, wash and slice tomatoes. Alternate in baking dish, then sprinkle with green pepper and onions. Salt and pepper, then drizzle the top with olive oil. Broil five minutes then bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes, stirring once. I add grated Parmesan cheese when I serve this...Yum!!!

5 comments:

  1. This sounds lovely! Love Farmer's Markets and went to the nearest one this am. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds so yummy! I just got a huge zucchini yesterday and I have a bounty of tomato's from a plant that seeded itself from our garden last year. What a great way to use them up!

    Thank you for the recipe! Hope you are having a lovely day!!

    xoxo
    Karyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. JennyMac, thanks for visiting my blog...I must look at yours and see where you live and what your Farmers Market is like...

    Karyn, you are so lucky to have fresh tomatoes right now! I love to eat them hot off the vine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie - this sounds wonderful, what do you eat with it? I'm raising tomatoes this year in pots in my front yard. I ate my first cherry tomatoe today. We have a farmers market her in South Jordan that we go to. We picked up some corn of the cop and watermelon just 10 minutes ago.



    cindy g

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cindy, I usually fix some chicken with this and that's a meal! Watermelon sounds yummy too!

    ReplyDelete