Thursday, June 25, 2009

"Not so Extreme" Makeover, Home Edition...

This is the lovingly restored home where I buy fresh, homegrown black raspberries in the summertime... a wonderful couple lives here and tends to a bountiful garden out back... the lady invited me inside to see all of her gorgeous antiques... then out to the garden to taste fresh raspberries last year... they grow both red and black berries that are so yummy!... Yes Wes, (my brother~in~law), I WILL be making more homemade black raspberry jam this year!

I LOVE old houses! They have so much more charm, character and warmth than many of the newer homes today. Oh, the stories they could tell...

I get terribly sad when I see a beautiful old home demolished for ANY reason. I do not buy into the reasoning "well, it was old and falling apart." So are alot of people I know, (including "Moi"!!!) but I still want them here with me! And yes, I think THEY have alot more charm, character and warmth than some of the younger people these days...I LOVE old people too...

There are alot of wonderful old historic homes here in my little bucolic town of Centerville. I always try to ask the owner's permission to photograph them. Most times I have found that the people who lovingly restore these beauties to their former glory are quite happy to talk to me, fondly recalling wonderful stories about their homes and the history behind them, allowing me to take my pictures...(some even want to be in the pictures themselves!)

I then print a copy of their home for them as well and deliver it to them as a kind of "thank~you" gift for being so gracious towards me...

I have so many lovely photos, I will try to share some each week so my post isn't fifty pages long! It makes me smile to see that these homes have been "restored" to their original style, with just enough updates to make for comfortable living today...

Even the gardens reflect a sense of days~gone~by... a quieter, gentler time...

This one looks so inviting...

It is hard for me to pick a favorite...

I love the Oriental Poppies in the cottage garden in front of this one... I have been invited back to visit another day soon by the elderly couple who live here... I do hope you will come back with me...



3 comments:

Jeni said...

What beautiful homes. I feel like I just had a virtual parade of homes tour. Thanks for sharing.

Cindy said...

Your a very sensitive person. I feel the same way about historical men and women. There is so much one can learn from them. I have been quilting for 38 years, allot of my quilting days have been spent with some special older women. Their so funny! My son lives in Farmington, up the street from A bed of roses. I love it there. We lived up Ogden Canyon for 15 years in Liberty. Now we live in South Jordan.

Famille Gerdel said...

I love old houses like you. Specially the colonial house.